Water additives

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

They used a bacterial supplement and the tank has been running for 4 weeks so it should be close to cycled if not already done. However, they should still monitor ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels for another month. Then monitor nitrate levels after that.

There are also products like Prime
A highly over rated product in my opinion. Prime is said to deal with Ammonia Nitrites and Nitrates by binding them and making them harmless and thats true but what they fail to tell you it only binds them for 24 to 48 hours. If you have Ammonia Nitrites or Nitrates in your tap water Prime won't help you.

1. Prime will bind ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate for 24-48 hours. At which point, if they are still present, will be released.
http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/forum/general-discussion/1803-prime-questions

The best way to reduce these things is by doing water changes you dont need any fancy stuff like slime coat boosters, or stuff that claims that it " helps keep the substrate cleaner" As long as it handles Chlorine and heavy metals its fine.

A highly over rated product in my opinion. Prime is said to deal with Ammonia Nitrites and Nitrates by binding them and making them harmless and thats true but what they fail to tell you it only binds them for 24 to 48 hours. If you have Ammonia Nitrites or Nitrates in your tap water Prime won't help you.
I use Prime as its very economical because of how little you use.
In fairness if you are stuck in a fish in cycle AND do daily water changes it can be a lifesaver.

If you do not have problems with water quality, try API Tap Water Conditioner. http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?sectionid=1&catid=19&subcatid=102&id=655 It is just as concentrated as Prime and contains only thiosulphate (to remove chlorine) and EDTA (to bind metals). It does not contain anything else. Seachem won't even tell us what's in Prime and as far as I'm concerned the fewer chemicals that go in my tanks the better.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I started the tank about a month ago.

The tank was fishless cycled for a week. The two platies were added in, and a 30% water changed and gravel cleaned a week after that.

Keep cycling for a couple of weeks, and another 30% water changed and gravel cleaned. The other 4 gouramis were added in two days ago.

Water quality: pH 7, ammonia 0, nitrite 0.25, nitrate 10.

My understanding is the tank is not fully clcyed but it's getting close to finish, and fish should be added in gradually. So I will keep it as it is for a couple of weeks and keep checking the water quality then thinking to add in a a pair of albino cories. Then etc......

Btw, Colin_T, the white platy is indeed a he if you remember I asked the question a few weeks ago. Many thanks.

essjay, OnePenny is a he as well. ,[emoji28]

A photo of my fishes, anyway.

Many thanks again.View attachment 87582
Thats awesome.. can you please let me know the light source you are using.. and the gouramis you have many are male and female.. i have a pair.. but the male one keep chasing the female one all the time..planning to donate the male one and get another female..

The light source is just the LED comes with the tank as a set. I can check it out for you later on. I just bought the gouramis a few days ago and am still trying to figure out their sexes.

Many thanks for all the advices, guys. Much appreciated.

Reactions: why

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back