Wasting Disease?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

april_tiffany

Reaction score
I have off and on had a problem w/ what I call 'wasting' disease in the past. The fish will become emaciated w/ sunken bellies. They will still swim actively and eat right up until they die. It seems to be self limited as one or two will be afflicted, but the rest of the tank remains unharmed. I have never been able to pin a name on the condition, and various meds have not helped. Sounds a lot like Tuberculosis, but no spine deformities and it seems to be a slower process (several weeks to a month). Can anybody help me put a name to this? I just lost a rainbow shark and it seems that my krebinsis may have the beginning of the disease. And if you have a name, do you have a cure? It's a 55 gallon planted tank.

Wasting away can be flukes, internal parasites to fish tb.
What it look like when the fish to to the toilet.
Check the anus of the fish to see if its enlarged or red and inflamed.

I have off and on had a problem w/ what I call 'wasting' disease in the past. The fish will become emaciated w/ sunken bellies. They will still swim actively and eat right up until they die. It seems to be self limited as one or two will be afflicted, but the rest of the tank remains unharmed. I have never been able to pin a name on the condition, and various meds have not helped. Sounds a lot like Tuberculosis, but no spine deformities and it seems to be a slower process (several weeks to a month). Can anybody help me put a name to this? I just lost a rainbow shark and it seems that my krebinsis may have the beginning of the disease. And if you have a name, do you have a cure? It's a 55 gallon planted tank.

Hi there, I seem to be having the same problem in one of my tanks. It seems some fish are imune, others are affected and recover. Whilst others gradualy lose the battle. I believe some otherwise healthy fish introduced the problem and whilst they have been affected by it - losing weight and becoming very thin, have recovered, although I am unsure exactly if this has been due to any treatments. The last course of treatment I tried was fish wormer and after a couple of treatments a number of the affected fish began gaining weight again. Subsequent treatment with Methylene Blue seems to have aided the recovery of one fish that was still very thin. A couple of others are still quite skinny so I am keeping an eye on them to see if they turnaround. It does seem a strange condition as some fish have continued to thrive and breed. I wonder whether it is something that is affecting the imune system of the fish making them susceptible to other diseases. I recommend giving Flubenozol - fish wormer a try as it seems to have no adverse affects on the fish - including newborn fry - but it does kill snails. I am also using a UV filter to try and eradicate anything that may be in the water.
Best of Luck and I look forward to hearing how you get on - will keep you updated.

How long did you use the wormer and which one as it can take a few rounds to get rid of eggs.

I am currently feeding a medicated food w/ prazquantel, so far no change... the infected fish are no worse or better. I'm afraid of treating w/ methylene blue because I have a planted tank and am leary about using something in the water. I have heard good things about flubenozol, but have not been able to find it in Dallas. Where do you get yours?

Got my of the fluby site, heard you can buy it on ebay.
There another wormer called levimsole.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back