Wanting to know

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ChloesQuestions

Reaction score
I want to know when my guppy will give birth, a estimate.

all the fish: 3 guppies, 2 unknown orangish tetra looking fish, 1 small goldfish (temporary and is friendly stays away from guppy), 3 neon tetras
Tank size: 20g
20g whisper filter.
temp: 80-82 normally
treated for ich in case (saw a few splecks, is gone now but are still being treated)
checked nitrate nitrite and ammonia, all safe
water conditioning
Some hiding places and a bottle with holes incase the fry are born while im not looking

the extra info was so i know if there are any problems with my setup
pictures
IMG_9765.JPG IMG_9766.JPG IMG_9767.JPG IMG_9771.JPG IMG_9770.JPG

making more than one post about the same thing doesn't help... at all.

She looks like she has a while to go yet, although it can be hard to tell with younger females, as they don't get as big as more mature fish.

What you want to look out for is her 'squaring off'; her belly will develop a very boxy shape, with corners at the front. Once that happens they usually give birth within a day or so.

Do be warned if you're thinking about using any kind of breeding box or trap; they're usually too small for the fish to feel comfortable and she might hold on to her fry, in those circumstances. Leaving her in the tank is better.

By the way, the temperature in your tank is much too high for the fish you have; they'd all be fine at around 74°F. The goldfish needs to be moved to bigger (and cooler) tank, ASAP. You should get the 'tetras' properly identified, as they probably need to be in a shoal. Many shoaling fish can get quite nippy and aggressive in insufficient numbers.

Though it's hard to tell, I can see the orangish fish in your tank that you are talking of. It looks like a lamb chop rasbora, and it is definitely a rasbora of some type. These fish are schooling fish and do best in large numbers, the smallest I would go is 8 but this would not be ok with your current stock.
if you do indeed remove the goldfish as it seems you say you are going to, you need to address both the rasbora numbers as well as the neons, which I also suggest numbers of 8 or more.
Guppy gestation lasts about a month in total and as you didn't state the sexes of all three I will just say that it is best to have 2-3 female/1 male ratio as the males are quite frisky and often harass females to death if not given enough to disperse the "aggression" of the males sex drive.

Reply to Baker: My other male recently died
(snakeskin guppy) so now I really need more females due to 1 f 1 m, but we can't get any fish right now due to 3 guppies dieing in a 4 day period. The ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all safe. (now that i think about it i remember the orange fish being rasboras.) I may upgrade them to a much larger tank whenever i am able to, and the goldfish will be moved with my other one (he is in there temporarily so he can grow to the size my other fish, Fishy (i named him when i was younger, he is way older now) he is almost the size to be able to, the 80 degrees was for treatment.
Reply to fluttermoth: Alright, I shall move the goldfish, maybe even upgrading their tanks to a pond, since the other goldfish is very large and needs a bigger tank asap. I will reduce the temperture now.
Question: What are great things to stop fish eating the fry? (hiding places, traps, ect.)

Question: What are great things to stop fish eating the fry? (hiding places, traps, ect.)

Number 1 best option: Plants... specifically stuff like java moss offers the fry protection, a place to find food easily and stay out of sight while they get bigger.

Last edited:
the tank hasnt had fish in it long enough for plants

That's a myth. Plants can be added before fish... and its actually best for both the plants and the fish.

It will affect the water quality by cleaning out ammonia and nitrates

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back