Want to build a proper aquarium...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Taellie

Reaction score
Ok, so when I was a teen I had three bettas (all at separate times, no worries :p) who I loved dearly, but, uh, wasn't the best owner for and they all died at my hands eventually... looking back it's amazing how much they actually survived.

Now as an adult, I plan on setting up my aquarium again and doing it right this time, so as to not kill my babies, because even though I was a horrible mommy to them before I still really love fish and miss having them around.

I have a 60 litre / 16 gallon tank, along with a filter and heater and lighting... And only the knowledge that I really did a poor job at setting up and maintaining it before.

So here's the question -- is it better to set this tank up for a bunch of cute fish, or could I turn it into another Betta home? I had a smaller tank for my first two boys, and I felt like this one was far too big for the last one I had, but they're my favorite fish...

So in that area, what would you recommend for somebody who might as well be a beginner? Who/what should I house? X.x

And how exactly should I go about setting up a fresh tank, in such a way as to be able to almost inevitably have to rescue store bought fish who won't be in the best condition... I've looked, and I haven't really got any other options where I am.

It should perhaps be noted that ideally I want a low - maintenance aquarium, clearly some effort is involved but the less the better. Not due to lack of desire, but I work a lotta hours and just don't have the time and energy yet. :p

I should add -- as of yet my tank is in another city and I don't remember the dimensions, and actually everything is and I haven't got anything on hand just yet... so any additional questions I'm gonna be pretty useless until after the holidays, once I get my stuff from my parents. :)

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

There is certainly nothing wrong with a single male Betta in a tank this size. Just remember that he must be kept on his own, no other Bettas or other fish. Having live floating plants which will make him feel right at home is worth considering; floaters are easiest to take care of. The lower level could be decorated with branches and bits of wood, with a sand substrate (play sand is inexpensive and works very well).

While waiting for dimensions to be able to suggest other options (minus a Betta), you could also provide us with your water parameters for the source water. You municipal water authority may have this data on their website. You need to know the GH (general or total hardness) and pH, and it helps to know the KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity). Small fish, often referred to as nano fish, that suit smaller tanks will often be wild caught, so water parameters are very important.

Byron.

Hi

So here's the question -- is it better to set this tank up for a bunch of cute fish, or could I turn it into another Betta home?

Is that tank is 2 foot long? How about a sorority? Heavily planted low tech tank with 5 female Bettas?

Kinda like the middle tank in my signature.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

There is certainly nothing wrong with a single male Betta in a tank this size. Just remember that he must be kept on his own, no other Bettas or other fish. Having live floating plants which will make him feel right at home is worth considering; floaters are easiest to take care of. The lower level could be decorated with branches and bits of wood, with a sand substrate (play sand is inexpensive and works very well).

While waiting for dimensions to be able to suggest other options (minus a Betta), you could also provide us with your water parameters for the source water. You municipal water authority may have this data on their website. You need to know the GH (general or total hardness) and pH, and it helps to know the KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity). Small fish, often referred to as nano fish, that suit smaller tanks will often be wild caught, so water parameters are very important.

Byron.
I was potentially considering some cories with the betta, especially since one pet store I was looking at sometimes keeps a betta with them, and they're all clearly acclimatized to each other and don't mind, but I dunno...

At what point should I add plants to a tank, if they're live plants? I only ever had fake plants before... Right away or at some point during the cycling?

And as of yet I don't have my water parameters either, and am in the process of discovering where I can even get ammonia and whatnot to cycle my tank... I'm hoping to get to the store today though to get the kits to test my water, we'll see if it works out. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome :D

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi

Is that tank is 2 foot long? How about a sorority? Heavily planted low tech tank with 5 female Bettas?

Kinda like the middle tank in my signature.
It's probably close to that, yeah... And I'm more of a fan of male bettas, which is awful I know xD I could potentially set up the bigger tank that way though, and take the smaller one I have and house my male there, hmm...

And I'm on mobile, and can't see signatures it would seem :(

Last edited:
I change 50% of the water once a week and feed the fish.

4gSNwWT.jpg

No not at all thats why low tech is best.

That tank has 1 male Betta 15 Kuhli Loaches, 3 Mystery snails at least 80 Red Cherry shrimp, and a bunch of Malaysian Trumpet snails ( over 30 )

I change 50% of the water once a week and feed the fish, I do not vacuum the gravel, I sometimes add 2 drops of Seachem flourish complete.

This is my 6 foot 100 gallon sorority tank also low tech
GPEWjJO.jpg

Ph - 7,4
Gh - 22? I think I did it correctly xD
Kh - 10? I've never done these tests before x.x

You/we need to confirm those test results for GH and KH. What is the unit of measurement (there are several and they are different but we can convert)?

If you go with live plants, they will do the "cycling." I'll explain later if asked.

Male Betta are not community fish. While some may have success (or may think they have) this is not the norm. Corys might be safer but even this is not a given. For the sake of the fish, a male Betta should be alone.

You/we need to confirm those test results for GH and KH. What is the unit of measurement (there are several and they are different but we can convert)?

If you go with live plants, they will do the "cycling." I'll explain later if asked.

Male Betta are not community fish. While some may have success (or may think they have) this is not the norm. Corys might be safer but even this is not a given. For the sake of the fish, a male Betta should be alone.
That's the number of drops added 5ml of water to make it change color

And I was at the pet store today and they had gorgeous bettas--all of them looked on the verge of dying. :( However they do have a few nice live plants and other recourses, so in that area I'll have more luck.

However I have a tiny problem, namely finding ammonia... I... haven't been able to, at all, anywhere. (I live in Europe, And all the places I've tried, no luck)

That's the number of drops added 5ml of water to make it change color

That is hard water then, as each drop will equate to 1 dGH of hardness, if you are using the API liquid test kit for GH/KH. Let us know if it is a different test.

However I have a tiny problem, namely finding ammonia... I... haven't been able to, at all, anywhere. (I live in Europe, And all the places I've tried, no luck)

The benefit of live plants, including some fast growing species of which floating are the best for this, is not having to "cycle" with ammonia. Plants need nitrogen, and they prefer ammonia/ammonium so they assimilate this quite rapidly once they are growing well. They can easily take up the ammonia produced by one Betta or a group of small fish, whichever. So once you have the plants obviously growing, you can add the Betta. Could not be simpler, or safer.

That is hard water then, as each drop will equate to 1 dGH of hardness, if you are using the API liquid test kit for GH/KH. Let us know if it is a different test.

The benefit of live plants, including some fast growing species of which floating are the best for this, is not having to "cycle" with ammonia. Plants need nitrogen, and they prefer ammonia/ammonium so they assimilate this quite rapidly once they are growing well. They can easily take up the ammonia produced by one Betta or a group of small fish, whichever. So once you have the plants obviously growing, you can add the Betta. Could not be simpler, or safer.
It isn't the Api liquid test, due to it being a European test--but the equivalent of :) and not surprising we have hard water, pretty universal here

So I won't need to buy the ammonia or the test for ammonia(because I don't have it yet, didn't have it in stock)? And in that case how long will I need to leave my tank fish-less before I add the fish?

It isn't the Api liquid test, due to it being a European test--but the equivalent of :) and not surprising we have hard water, pretty universal here

So I won't need to buy the ammonia or the test for ammonia(because I don't have it yet, didn't have it in stock)? And in that case how long will I need to leave my tank fish-less before I add the fish?

As I said, once the plants are obviously growing, you can add the Betta. Fast growing plants tend to start growing within a few days, depending what you acquire.

This method avoids adding any ammonia, so you can forget that. Ammonia can kill plants if too much is added, so I never recommend ammonia with live plants. There is no need anyway, once the plants are showing signs of growing.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back