Walmart opinions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tyler_Fishman

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
what's your opinion on Walmart? I consider it borderline abuse, I found some interesting finds in the Walmart fish section today
Here are some pictures that I took today

Attachments

• IMG_1599.JPG
    IMG_1599.JPG
    848.1 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_1600.JPG
    IMG_1600.JPG
    738.1 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_1601.JPG
    IMG_1601.JPG
    936.7 KB · Views: 230
I've seen some images (which are, to say the least, disturbing), but I have never been there myself, living down in Australia (where we don't have Walmart)

Attachments

• tumblr_m8rvmlJcce1qj3louo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_m8rvmlJcce1qj3louo1_1280.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,626
Last edited:
From a business point of view if a department is profitable it will remain, which means you need to dissuade people from shopping there. We don't have Walmart in the UK (unless you count ASDA) but it would appear that our animal welfare laws are a lot tighter than yours. It's frustrating but will always be an issue for as long as people shop there.

I have yet to see anything but bettas being sold there, and the way they are treated is pretty bad. Though I have seen similar treatments in places like Petsmart and Petco, but like StandbySitting said, it's still profitable. I've rescued a few bettas, and if I do I try to pick the sickest looking one. It feeds the business but I can't help but try and help those poor babies.

I think the only people who buy fish from Walmart are little kids, I doubt any fish keeper would buy from there, not even feeder goldfish, there all diseased

I think it depends on the Wal Mart. I bought my 3 Pictus Catfish at Wal Mart last weekend. All their tanks were clean. I can remember seeing no dead fish in any tank. And the Bettas water was clean. The lady netting the fish didn't seem all that knowledgeable about what she was doing, chased them around the tank like crazy, but whoever is in charge of the fish area, at least at this store, is doing a pretty good job it seems.

edited to add -- I must say though that this has not always been the case, even at this store. So I think it just depends on whoever is managing the fish area

Most reactions

Back