Walking In An Algae Wonderland

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

AlexJordan

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello! So, I had been battling with diatoms for about a month when green algae began to set in. Not that big of a deal, I scrubbed it off the glass, rubbed it off leaves, netted it out, increased carbon.

Until it began covering everything.

JbuCRoc.jpg

It covers everything. The plants, the rocks, the substrate, the glass - I wouldn't be surprised if it wrapped around the fish too.

wwI0tf9.jpg

What I think are oxygen bubbles are popping out of the front swath as well. It's absolutely unsightly - what should I do?

I think that is cyanobacteria. Is it just like a slime that can be wiped or pulled off? If it is, I used a product called Ultralife Blue Green algae remover. I know putting stuff in your tank isn't everyone's idea of the best way to clear algae, but this worked great for me. Before you think about getting it though you need to make sure it is cyanobacteria (blue green algae) that is the problem.

Unless the cause is dealt with, the problem will just return.  

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

Blue Green Algae, BGA

Description This isn't a true algae, but a bacteria called cyanobacteria that is able to photosynthesise. Covers everything in a blue/green slimy mat. Easily peels off but grows back again very quickly. It can smell pretty foul. It is very commonly found in the substrate and especially along the front glass where is receives light.
Cause Often caused by very low nitrates. It is fairly common to have it growing in the substrate against the front glass from where it can spread. Sometimes it appears with new setups that have had light and ammonia present at some point. Dirty substrates and filters may also bring it on. Poor water circulation is another possible cause.
Removal A blackout is the best method for this. Clean out as much of the algae as you can and do a 30 to 50% water change. If your nitrates are low then add some potassium nitrate to get levels to 20ppm. Remove CO2 and add an airstone. Turn off lights and cover the whole tank so no light can enter. Leave it for 3 to 4 days. No peeking and no feeding - fish will be fine without food for this period. After 3 to 4 days remove the covers and do a 30 - 50% water change. Remove airstone and start CO2. You will need to dose nitrates to keep them dropping too low again. Make sure your substrate and filter doesn't become too clogged up with mulm and also make sure you have good water circulation around the whole tank.

How often are your cycling water out of the tank?  For proper maintenance some water should be removed weekly and replaced with clean fresh water from the tap that has been dechlorinated and appropriately condition before being added to the tank.  Typically about 30 to 50% of the water is cycled out.  if you don't cycle water out of the tank minerals and nutrients from food and fish wast will build up in the water and that will eventually make it hard for plants to grow while at the time time making it very easy for Algae to grow out of control.  

Also it would be helpful to know the water parameters (PH, GH, KH, Nitrate, Nitrite, and ammonia) levels are for you tank and tap water (assuming you are not using distilled or RO water).

I have just used the product munrocco is talking about.after two doses the cyno is disappearing

Thank you for all your input!

Munroco said:

I think that is cyanobacteria. Is it just like a slime that can be wiped or pulled off? If it is, I used a product called Ultralife Blue Green algae remover. I know putting stuff in your tank isn't everyone's idea of the best way to clear algae, but this worked great for me. Before you think about getting it though you need to make sure it is cyanobacteria (blue green algae) that is the problem.

Yes, it is very slimy. I can rub it off leaves relatively easily, and I'll look into that product.

eaglesaquarium said:

Unless the cause is dealt with, the problem will just return.  

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

Blue Green Algae, BGA

Description This isn't a true algae, but a bacteria called cyanobacteria that is able to photosynthesise. Covers everything in a blue/green slimy mat. Easily peels off but grows back again very quickly. It can smell pretty foul. It is very commonly found in the substrate and especially along the front glass where is receives light.
Cause Often caused by very low nitrates. It is fairly common to have it growing in the substrate against the front glass from where it can spread. Sometimes it appears with new setups that have had light and ammonia present at some point. Dirty substrates and filters may also bring it on. Poor water circulation is another possible cause.

Well, I tested, and my ammonia levels are relatively high at 1 ppm. Nitrites were at 0, but Nitrates were also at 0, which is odd, because this tank is almost 3 years old. I'm going to try dosing nitrates.

StevenF said:
How often are your cycling water out of the tank?  For proper maintenance some water should be removed weekly and replaced with clean fresh water from the tap that has been dechlorinated and appropriately condition before being added to the tank.  Typically about 30 to 50% of the water is cycled out.  if you don't cycle water out of the tank minerals and nutrients from food and fish wast will build up in the water and that will eventually make it hard for plants to grow while at the time time making it very easy for Algae to grow out of control.  

Also it would be helpful to know the water parameters (PH, GH, KH, Nitrate, Nitrite, and ammonia) levels are for you tank and tap water (assuming you are not using distilled or RO water).

I replace about 30-50% of the water weekly. pH hangs around 7.6, see above for the Ns. gH was 1 degree, kH was 22 (still confused about that), and pH was about 7.5. For my tap water, it's all 0, 0, 0, and no variation between tap and tank for gH and kH.

I have used a somewhat radical way of getting rid of this.

First I have cleaned the tank as well as I could. After this I added some NO3 in order to help solve the problem. Beside that did I just some anti blue algea stuff (In my case blue exit).
The same day, I had done a complete blackout for a week. After which I cleaned the tank again and finsihed the anti blue algea cure.

This helped me to get rid off it completely.

Well, I tested, and my ammonia levels are relatively high at 1 ppm. Nitrites were at 0, but Nitrates were also at 0, which is odd, because this tank is almost 3 years old. I'm going to try dosing nitrates.
Before you dose the tank with anything (NO3 or an Algae remover) you need to get the ammonia levels down.  1pmm ammonia is toixc to fish and anything else could increase the toxicity of the water.  The ammonia means you are overfeeding or something has died in the aquarium.  Remove any dead plants and check for dead fish.  What are your GH and GH.  If those are too low a plant may have died. The ammonia alon is probably the cause of the algae bloom.

Sorry I didn't see this statement earlier:

pH hangs around 7.6, see above for the Ns. gH was 1 degree, kH was 22 (still confused about that), and pH was about 7.5. For my tap water, it's all 0, 0, 0, and no variation between tap and tank for gH and kH.
A GH of 1 is too low for invertabrates and plants to survive.  It means you have almost no calcium or magnesium in the water.  A KH of 22 means you have a lot of potassium or sodium in the water. You likley have very limited ammoun of micronutrients in the.  high KH is a measure of carbonates in the watercaused by clacium, mangnessium, sodium, and potassium carbonates are the most common.  GH is a measure of all types calcium and magnessium salts in the water.    At a minimum i would add a trace fertilizer (I use seachen trace and then add iron to my RO water)  You could add nitrate and phophate fertilizer  to help the plants remove some of t the excess potassium and sodium in your tap water.  

Just to confirm what Munruco said, that blue green algae remover worked awesome! After first dose, it stopped growing. I waited a week to confirm this, then did a 50% water change and cleaned the stuff out. I did one more dose to be on the safe side and I think this solved my problem. I'll have to update my thread with a new picture soon! (I understand your outbreak may be caused by other issues than what I had though, but for me this stuff worked!)

Most reactions

trending

Back