Very Sick Betta. Help Please?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

LivLiv

Reaction score
I've had my Betta for over a year now and lately I noticed clamped fins and what looked like fin rot because of fraying fins. Now there's a white fuzz spot with tan in the center attached to his tail. From what I've read this is fungus? or a bacterial infection? I want to quarantine him in a 5 gallon tank and treat him. Right now my main priority is the water quality because I can't find any medicine for this where I live besides Melafix which I am hesitant to give as his breathing already looks labored, but he looks to be in a very bad state right now. How often do I change the water in qt and how much water do I change at a time? What about the filter? The one in his big tank is already cycled, but it's too big for the qt tank, but I do have a small one. that is not used unless qt. 

Right now I have him in the small quarantine tank with an oxygen stone and a heater at 80 degrees.

As for how I had him before, he was in a 10 gallon heated, filtered tank.

He is not eating and staying on the bottom. He looks kind of discolored and pale, labored breathing and moving his gills. Any other medicine that might be needed I would have to order online and wait a few days so I really want to know what I can do right now to try and save him. I also have aquarium salt. So ANY advice as to what I can do and how I should do it would be greatly appreciated. 

Can you give water stats of the current tank? Temp, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, as well as all (if any) tank mates.

Sounds like a fungus, but it also sounds like fin rot which is often due to poor or fluctuating water conditions. If the betta is the only inhabitant of the ten gallon, you don't need to move him to a new tank. In the meantime, do a large water change.

Is the five gallon cycled?

Most reactions

Back