Very Pale Neon Tetras - But Seem Perfectly Healthy...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

davidjp1982

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago I picked up a batch of newly arrived Neon Tetras from my LFS - I immediately noticed that they seemed very pale, especially in the red area but naively assumed this was from the stress of arrival from the supplier to the fish store and assumed that with some TLC and good food they would pick up condition and colour. 2 weeks later (and much retrospective reading about Neon Tetra Disease) and they seem perfectly happy and healthy with no lumps or any major symptoms of disease but they are still very very pale. Do sub standard batches of Neons remain like this? I thought a sickly weak line of fish would not survive to point of sale let alone several weeks in an aquarium? Is Neon Tetra disease still likely and if so should I cull the fish in question? Is diet an issue? I feed once or twice a day just a small pinch of King British Tropical flakes but they also get whatever they can of bloodworm / daphnia / New Life Spectrum cichlid pellets which I feed to my Apistogramma. Should I just reach for a red marker pen? Any advice readily welcomed thank you :)

I am a terrible photographer but in this pic you can see one of the pale batch of Neons swimming alongside one of my older and healthier looking specimens.

Fish 002.JPG

It's not NTD. Mine are like this as well. It's just a breeding thing. I flipped when I saw my neons compared to other ones. lol

So you think they are just a poor batch or they are not in breeding colours?

It could just be a matter of waiting a little longer, my cardinals didn't show strong colour for about 4 weeks I assumed they just need that length of time to acclimatise to their new environment. 

Probably just low quality batch. I got my tetras from a dodgy little place in Chinatown lol.

Ok thanks at least I'm sure its not NTD disease now - I will just keep an eye on them - thanks for the replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back