Very Heavily Pregnant Platy

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

krissykat

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Even tho I'm new at this its pretty obvious shes pregnant!
im just not sure how close to giving birth she is...
she dropped 3 fry (that I found) 18 days ago
I'm not sure how long it will be between drops?

15323_379700613873_516043873_3558191_671110_n.jpg

about 2 weeks ago after the first drop

now

26218_384232868873_516043873_3658483_263985_n.jpg

26218_384232878873_516043873_3658485_3052914_n.jpg

26218_384232883873_516043873_3658486_4621525_n.jpg

Might as well take her out the trap....

She aint ready to drop yet, she is over fed, the front of the belly is dropped cos she has eaten a lot, the bak end is not dropped, when they are ready to drop the back end drops as much as the front causing the fish to sqaure off, your is not..... if she dropped 18 days ago, she will probably drop again within the next 10-17 (possibly 24) days... they ahve fry every 4-6 weeks and can hold sperm packets up to 6 months off one mating with a male.

Ckeck out THIS - this is my pinned thread with lots more info on knowing how to know when your fish will drop its fry, there is also videos in it as well of drops.

Here is your pic, i have done lines to represent what i mean...

Black line - Her normal size how she should be.

Red line - Over fed (belly dropped too much at front)... this how yours is

White line - How she will look when heavy pregnant.

I must agree with LM. I believe she looks like she is overfed, not heavy from carrying fry. At 2 weeks post drop, she has no less than 2 weeks to go. Please reduce her feeding before it affects her health.

Thanks for the advice.
I did look at your pinned post before joining the site,
really helpful and well done btw
but the pictures were a little too small so I couldn't really compare :(

Hi and welcome, your fish is pretty and a young one. she is over fed that is true. Try feeding her peas for a bit i hope she doesn't get sick because of over feeding. Boil the peas until they are soft, then crush it down and feed her them.

Over feeding isn't often a problem in my tank,
it was only as I fed them without knowing my boyfriend had already put in a bag of brine shrimp that evening
thanks for the concern

Thanks for the advice.

yeah the original pics was lost, but u can zoom in on them by holding CTRL and pressing the + to zoom, and - to zoom out ;)

I also have a thread that relates to the development of a fish's stage of carrying fry over time. It is not like the LM post which focuses on the immediate term. Instead it attempts to get you to judge your particular fish's state of development by showing each stage of my molly and what she looked like along the way. As a MOD I thought it a bit presumptuous to make my own thread pinned at the top of the livebearer section, but I have do a link to my molly's progress in my signature area.

Thanks for the advice.

yeah the original pics was lost, but u can zoom in on them by holding CTRL and pressing the + to zoom, and - to zoom out ;)

Yeah I read, sucha shame cos its a really great post too

She gave birth last night,
the trap was crap and they all escaped it :/
We have 7 and as far as we know thats all there was,
I forgot how small they were compared to the 1 month olds we have now :)

Might as well take her out the trap....

She aint ready to drop yet, she is over fed, the front of the belly is dropped cos she has eaten a lot, the bak end is not dropped, when they are ready to drop the back end drops as much as the front causing the fish to sqaure off, your is not..... if she dropped 18 days ago, she will probably drop again within the next 10-17 (possibly 24) days... they ahve fry every 4-6 weeks and can hold sperm packets up to 6 months off one mating with a male.

Ckeck out THIS - this is my pinned thread with lots more info on knowing how to know when your fish will drop its fry, there is also videos in it as well of drops.

Here is your pic, i have done lines to represent what i mean...

Black line - Her normal size how she should be.

Red line - Over fed (belly dropped too much at front)... this how yours is

White line - How she will look when heavy pregnant.

As a total noob that picture is really interesting, I never understood fully what "squared" off meant, but now I do :) :good:

I have to say I couldn't grasp what squaring off really was until my fish actually starting doing it and the pic was a huge help

I wonder if that picture could be pinned with the lines to show beginners what to look for?

I guess if you've never seen a squaring off then you won't really know lol.

I thought they squared off from the front rather than the side, and I must say "it is pretty square" - when I heard squaring off I assumed it was less than the picture shows too... I still think it's great hehe.

I wonder if that picture could be pinned with the lines to show beginners what to look for?

I guess if you've never seen a squaring off then you won't really know lol.

I thought they squared off from the front rather than the side, and I must say "it is pretty square" - when I heard squaring off I assumed it was less than the picture shows too... I still think it's great hehe.

Il add the picture to my pinned thread...

Most reactions

Back