Very Fat Molly But No Dark Gravid Spot?

saffholly

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, yesterday i bought 2 mollies (a black male and a white female), the lady in the shop told me that the female was pregnant as she was very rounded. Tonight the female is swimming up and down in the corner of the tank and the male is chasing her around. These are my first mollys so have never seen a pregnant one before, are the gravid spots ment to be dark like on guppies? i cant realy see a dark gravid spot on her but her tummy is quite bloated and flat on the bottom. Are we going to have babbies?

I have been trying to take a photo but its hard to get one as she is either swimming up and down in the corner (very fast) or she's hiding behind a rock.

well the male will harass her like tomorrow.. get another two females so that the tension is eased off of her. if she is pregnant, then make sure there is a tank for her to have her babies so they don't get eaten.. or a breeder net. when the fish are pregnant they get fat, but if you really want to make sure she is don't feed for a few days and then you'll tell really quick, if she isn't she'll slim down really quick and if she is then she wont..

Thank you, will deffently get more females, we have one baby (well a few months old) in the tank too but not sure if thats male or female. She's now going mad in the corner of the tank and giving any fish that comes near her a good telling off, the male is harassing her. Do you think i should put her in the breeding net or will it stress her out too much? She looks quite square but is not huge but then she's probably only a young molly so might not get huge. I havn't really got another tank to put her in unless i put her in with my female guppies so really its the net or keep her in the big tank until she gives birth (and then try and fish out the fry).

Well i put her in the breeding net at 9.30 last night as she was trying to find a quiet spot and the male was really harassing her (as well as the male guppies). At 10.30 she starting giving birth but sadly the fry were all dead (she had around 20-30 fry),they all looked perfectly formed with tails and little eyes.

So what went wrong?, she didn't seem stressed, i caught her using the breeding net (she just swam in)she was then quite still until she had given birth (no thrashing about).

Luckily she is ok this morning and has eaten, she's swimming around with the male and is probably already pregnant again. Next time i shall just let her give birth in the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back