Very Disappointed In My Biorb!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Loobie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a good tank which has good filtration system. I've had my BiOrb since July and I getting really cheezed off as the filter doesn't seem strong enough to pull all the bits and bobs down into the filter, it all sit underneath the filter where I can't get to it easy. :(

I think that maybe the reason why I'm still getting ammonia in my water 10 weeks on!! I maybe wrong though!! :/

I do water changed daily, still, after 10 weeks, which is a little difficult with such a small opening!

So, I think maybe the BiOrb was the wrong choice and another type will be better to do it's thing !!!! and making my poor platies lives a little happier.

I'm not looking for a huge tank maybe 50/60 litre, any advice as to which ones are better?? If I'd have asked for advice in the first place I don't think I'd have bought the BiOrb as they don't seem to be very favourable or practical.

Thanks

Well, A BiOrb uses those rocks at the bottom as a biological filter, a lot of those bits may well be the bacteria which break down the fish waste. :good:

When I do the water changes it's definately poo and food.

I was advised that the bacteria mainly lives in the filter and hardly any live on the rocks. I can't think of any other reason as to why I'm still having ammonia.

When I take the filter and bubble tube out to get all the poo out there is loads trapped under the glass dish which holds the filter. As soon as you take that off, the'poo' float all over, and it's one big blizzard.

I just seem to be losing faith in the tank!! as I feel I tried all sorts of things at a great expense, and maybe I'd be more sucessful with a different tank.

i realli like juwel system i kno people wreck them abit but i like them and mine is realli kl and clear and clean

miles

What are the Juwel aquariums like, are they any good??

The Juwel tanks are good for beginners. But sooner or later you might want to upgrade (by removing the interal Juwel Filter) to a seperate external filter - which is undoubtedly so much better than the Juwel Filter :)

hi,
i won a biorb 30ltr, it was showing nitrite after 3 months, it was under stocked.
i enjoyed fish keeping so i got a juwel 180, which has been great, 9 months later ive just got a juwel 260ltr.
biorbs are hard to get into when cleaning the fish always looked distorted to me.
there are lots of tanks out there, just measure how much room you have for a tank and do a bit of reserch.
hth donna :)

I have a 35 litre Bi-Ube - similar thing to the Bi-orb, but cylindrical. I have to say that I've been very pleased with it. It really got me into the hobby, and I now own a Juwel Vision 180 with external Eheim filter, and all the bits.

So long as you don't over-stock, the bi-orbs should work fine. I have six small fish in my Bi-Ube and have had no problems. I sometimes use it as a hospital tank for the bigger Juwel.

The biological filter is most definitely the substrate (little rocks) on the Bi-Orb. Only a tiny fraction of the good bacteria will reside in the filter (sponge). I wonder if your airstone might need replacing (they calc up quite easily in hard water) or if there is some other fault. Are you treating your tap water to remove the chlorine before adding it to your tank ? Otherwise the chlorine will kill the bacteria that breakdown the ammonia ? Though not entirely necesary, I upgraded my air-pump to a Rena 200 for 20 quid. It's more powerful (cleaner water) and quieter.

I'd head over to this uber-friendly forum, where you'll find a good few people who'll be more than happy to give you some one-on-one advice.

www.biorbforum.co.uk

Good luck with the problem.

The Juwel tanks are good for beginners. But sooner or later you might want to upgrade (by removing the interal Juwel Filter) to a seperate external filter - which is undoubtedly so much better than the Juwel Filter :)

I wouldn't say it's about being a beginner as much as about how you are going to use the tank. The Juwel filters are very good for planted tanks with a light load of non-messy fish, perhaps even slightly understocked. They were voted best for planted tanks in thee PFK magazine recently. But, if you want to overstock slightly, or keep messy fish, you will want to add another filter (no need to remove Juwel filter, you can run two).

I just want to keep some easy fish like platies and neons.

It's for my daughter really but seen as though she's 5, it's me that needs to keep it all running smoothly behind the scene and the BiOrb isn't really doing that for me.

I take a small Juwel are a good starter tank?

bloomin gd mine is always clear and kept very tidy and its silent !!!

Mine is really noisy! It's a good job it's in the living room competing with the TV for sound. If I had been for the bedroom I'd have moved it!

CS

I just want to keep some easy fish like platies and neons.

It's for my daughter really but seen as though she's 5, it's me that needs to keep it all running smoothly behind the scene and the BiOrb isn't really doing that for me.

I take a small Juwel are a good starter tank?

The Juwel Rekord 60 should do that very nicely.

I've gone for it after taking advice from the forum and others, and I have bought a Juwel Rekord 60.

Will I need to do a fishless cycle on the new tank, before I transfer my fish from the BiOrb, can anybody tells me approx how long this will take or is it dependant on when the ammonia and Nitrites spike?? I take it it'll be approx 8 weeks the same as setting up a new tank.

Will I need to do a fishless cycle on the new tank, before I transfer my fish from the BiOrb,

Move the media from the old filter to the new one, and move all the fish over at one go. If you leave out the nitrate sponge and the carbon sponge out of the jewel filter you should have room (for the media -not the fish!!).

I did this to move from a trio in a 10g to a rio 180. Cut up the old sponge to fit and threaded the noodle things on some thread to keep them together. Put the basket half in the filter (so the noodles wouldn't fall out of the side) and then lowered my noodle necklace in. topped off with a blue jewel sponge and a floss sheet.

No ammonia spikes or other water quality issues. The bio-load hadn't changed so every thing was fine. I'm just waiting now til I'm back off holiday and move the old media back to the old tank to quarentine some new fish!! The new sponges should be well cloned by then, I hope.

BTW the jewel filter seems to work well, it's just a little noisy.

CS

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back