Veggie Patches

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LizB90

Reaction score
This year we have cleared an area of garden for a veggie patch, so as well as our grow bags we will be growing things in the ground as well. Well I hope so, with a new puppy this may prove a little tricky. So does anyone else have a veggie patch, or even an allotment, what do you go if you have? Or what would you grow if you could have one. We have clay soil so it will be difficult to grow things like carrots etc in the ground.

Look forward to hearing from you all,
Liz

I've grown allsorts in my veg patch, even some of the unusual varieties like the purple carrots and blue potatoes. I've done cauliflowers, radishes, parsnips, butternut squash, sweetcorn, onions and tomatoes.

I've tried aubergines, chilli peppers and peas with shocking failure though, lol.

This year we have cleared an area of garden for a veggie patch, so as well as our grow bags we will be growing things in the ground as well. Well I hope so, with a new puppy this may prove a little tricky. So does anyone else have a veggie patch, or even an allotment, what do you go if you have? Or what would you grow if you could have one. We have clay soil so it will be difficult to grow things like carrots etc in the ground.

Look forward to hearing from you all,
Liz

Plenty of clay and hardpan round here as well. Best bet is to till deeply and work in masses of soil amendments, leafmold is the best. Or go with raised beds for carrots and the like.
No place for a garden of my own, but tend my landlord's. Grows, garlic, maters, peppers, squash, cucumbers, watermelon, blackberries, and grapes that are becoming scary big. He wants to try olives and asparagas. Tried carrots, but soil not soft enough yet.

I like to grow a themed vegetable garden every year! This year I'm going to be growing a Plants VS Zombies garden! I'm going to have blue corn, sunflowers, pumpkins (big ones!), peas, and purple carrots (though there are no carrots in the game).  Purple carrots are my favorite thing to grow, and my favorite vegetable in general! My Mom grows all kinds of other things though.

I just started to sort my veg patch out the other day.

It sounds simple but think about what veg you actually eat rather than what you would like to grow! It's tempting to grow things that you think you would like but no one actually eats!

I tend to grow things for salads such as lettuce, radish, spring onions etc. I don't put things in the patch that grow quite big such as cabbage and broccoli. The bags for potatoes are quite good and free up space in the patch. As I said, salad is quite good and we can go a summer without having to buy any from the shops.

It's a good idea to do a little plan of your patch to work out where you can fit things in.

Good luck!

Agree with things that get eaten. Beets were tried last year, and no one ate em.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back