Vacation Feeders

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

krabby

Reaction score
I will be going on vacation for a week and would like to know what vacation feeders work best. I have a 30 gal tank with all community fish. Do I even need a feeder? I've heard of people going away for a week and thier fish survive just fine. Any advice would be appreciated.

My one friend got the Tetra Vacation Feeders. The ones that are a gel based. And he was on vacation for 4 days and his fish hadn't even touched the vacation Feeders. He had platies, corydoras, shrimps, and a chinese algae eater. (not all in the same tanks together) So anywho, not sure if your fish may do this but just a warning of how our experience went with them. :nod:

I just brought one today for when we go on holidays and I am actually really worried about my fish dying from starvation if they wont eat it.

Healthy adult fish can easily go a week without eating. Most of those vacation feeders are made of a plaster sort of substance, slowly dissolve, and foul your water while you are away and unable to do anything about it.

I've had adult angels go for over 2 weeks without eating. Fish in the wild often live on the edge of starvation, and there is no shortage of fish in the wild.

Yeah a week will be fine for healthy fish to go without food. Avoid the temptation to give them a massive feeding before you go away as this will just create a larger waste load.

Just do your water change before you go away and make sure your filter is working ok.

The Tetra gel vacation feeders are definately the best, they don't dissolve in the water like the other ones, so if your fish don't eat them you won't have polluted water when you get home.

Are u sure we can go without feeding them? What about Bristlenose catfish?

Thanks for the replies. I did try the tetra gel feeder for a short trip I took last month and it looked like the fish didn't touch it when I got back. Will live plants serve as an alternate food source if the fish have no other recourse?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back