UV sterilisers

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Paul_MTS

MAD
Reaction score
Quite simple really what are the benefits from adding a UV unit to my system?

Do they outright kill things like ich?

I'm running a 204 filter so no worries adding one in.

also are there marine and fresh water type ones as I'ved seen many adverts saying marine UV steriliser or is cause they are just more commonly used in marines?

I also been looking into an UV Sterilizer.

I beleive that it does not matter between FW and SW.

I just think traditionally they were used for SW, just because of expense mostly. But not sure.

From what I read it eliminates all parasites, free floating algae (giving out crystal clear water), and disease that passes through it.

I am seriously looking into one of these devices, for a discus tank I am planning.

I'm interested in having one for my 25g as recently bought blue rams and they introduced ich to my nice clean tank, i took them back to work (i work in a fish shop) my female is being treated there althou the male died.

and noticed day after i took her back that my other fish had it. it seems to of almost gone now after treating but i want rid for good.

I use a uv sterilizer and would recommend them to anyone :D

some people say that they are only worthwhile for those with very large tanks, but I see prevention as being better than cure. Before I installed it I had problems with parasites and fugus, but (touch wood :eek: ) not a problem since :)

they destroy bacteria and pathogens in your water, therefore improving the quality. I got mine online and it only cost about £70, although this will depend on the size of your tank.

there is no difference in type as far as Im aware. the one I own claims to be suitable for all types of aquarium

HTH

canarsie, I would say go for it with the discus, when I was looking into buying one they were often reffered to because of them being sensitive

I hear that water is really crystal clear after an addition of uv sterilizer. My put one on community set up.

Is is hard to install? :D

My waters already crystal :D but i would like to be rid of bacteria.

as far as i know it's easy to fit, chop your inlet hose and stick it in the middle, i'ved fitted a UVC unit in my pond system so assume it's basically the same.

I have clear water already also. But what I am saying is people who thought there water was crystal clear after adding uv sterilizer say they can see a difference ;)

no not at all, just have to cut your existing filter tubing and clip it on to the uv sterilizer. we just did it on a regular filter clean when the filter was drained anyway. it suggests replacing the bulb every 6 months, but other than that it just sits in the cupboard and does its job!

If it is possible can you post pic of your Sterilizer hooked up to tubes.

Do you place on the tube that is bringing filtered water back to the tank?

pretty sure you put it on the inlet so the bugs get killed then get filtered out by your filter before re entering the tank.

Here's a pic of mine. I haven't got a close up, but it is a Vecton UV25 and I've not had any disease problems since I've had the tank. I can't say for definate that this is the reason, but it can't hurt though eh?!!!
It is in the left hand cupboard and you can see the glowing bits where the filter tubes join onto it!!

rena3.jpg

can post you a pic later on if I get the camera working, but obviously dont have one ready to go :p

sorry dont quite understand your question :( . the set up is that the water goes to the filter as normal, then the tube going back to the tank is cut and attatched to the sterilizer inlet. The other end of the cut tubing is attatched to the outlet of the sterilizer and it continues back to the tank as usual. hope this is what you are looking for :)

Fawke said:
can post you a pic later on if I get the camera working, but obviously dont have one ready to go :p

sorry dont quite understand your question :( . the set up is that the water goes to the filter as normal, then the tube going back to the tank is cut and attatched to the sterilizer inlet. The other end of the cut tubing is attatched to the outlet of the sterilizer and it continues back to the tank as usual. hope this is what you are looking for :)
Exactly

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back