UV sterilisers.

glolite

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I read that ultra violet sterilisers get rid of algae blooms and having had recent problems have been looking at them on google. Doesn't specify which types of algae they treat. I also read that they decrease harmful bacteria. Has anyone had experience with these sterilisers? Are they worth the money?

I tried one years ago (TMC) when I had my Dupla setup. I didn't make a blind bit of difference, The algae still bloomed.

I've had short term success treating free floating algal blooms using UV sterilization. Most of the time, a hobbyist spec unit just isn't enough, and becomes a nuisance to maintain. It's best to investigate what is causing the bloom. Too much light, excess nutrients in the tank water, or from the tap (make-up water, water changes) are the usual suspects.

Thanks, perhaps I'll save my money then, till I win the lottery :lol:

They will definitely get rid of green water. Are they the answer to your algae problems? Definitely not. I used one very successfully to get rid of green water on both my 29 and 75 gallon tanks. They do kill free floating bacteria like Ich in the water but I wouldn't get one just for that. CFC uses one all the time on two of his tanks. Here is an old thread where I asked about them before I got mine.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back