UV sterilisers

New Boy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience of UV sterilisers? Are they any good in tropical freshwater tanks? or are they a bit of a waste of money. I'm always looking for ways to improve my fishes conditions so might get one if people have good experiences.

Thanks

I've never used one before as I've never had a marine setup. Never thought much about UV for freshwater tho.

I don't see how it would hurt to have one for freshwater. Would it kill beneficial micro-organisms as well as the disease causing organisms tho?

My understanding is, that UV would not kill the beneficial bacteria, because they are not free floating, they are mainly found in the filter & on the gravel, or are they ....... ;) ?

I run a twin 30watt U.V on my 260 gallon catfish tank. they help to control protazoa such as white spot parasites. they will noy harm the filter bacteria because they only kill things that are in the water that flow over the bulb. they also kill things like plankton and algae keeping the water crystal clear. they work by "disrupting" the creatures DNA that pass over the bulb. the organism can then no longer function and so dies and is taken out by the filter system. I would recamend them for marine fish only tanks and freshwater tanks. they are expensive, but do have there advantages. I would say try and get a cheaper second hand one. (I think they are a little expencive for what they actually do.)

One of my friends has a UV unit in the line from his pond to the top of his waterfall. Certainly his pond is always very clear.

Most reactions

trending

Back