Used 75G, Considering Resealing - Would You?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kalavek

Reaction score
I know you've all heard this story before...

I've recently acquired a used 75G tank with a built-in overflow, sump tank and pump included. I'd like a second opinion on the seals, as I'm having a hard time deciding how important it is to reseal it. (I think I know the answer, I just need a push.)

The tank is dated 2004, and up until a few days ago it was being used as a reef tank with no problems. I've already had it filled up for a couple days while I cleaned up the sump, pump, and the inside of the glass. Now that I've got it drained for more cleaning, I've noticed that the inside silicone seal is pretty ragged. It doesn't look like anything has reached the seal between the glass panes, but it's close in places.

I've resealed a couple 30G tanks, but nothing this large. I assume the rules are the same - remove the top frame, get the old silicone out, rub it down with white vinegar or rubbing alcohol to make sure the glass is completely clean, tape it up, apply the correct silicone, remove tape and let it cure for a few days. I also expect I'll need to remove the overflow housing at the same time, then silicone it back into place after the seams are all done and cured.

I'm attaching a photo of how one of the sides looks right now, like someone got too close with a scraper more than a couple times. The bottom seams look great, but I know it's all-or-nothing. 

Bottom line: I want the tank to be reliable, and I don't like stressing about leaks or burst seams.

Attachments

• 20160726_214901.jpg
    20160726_214901.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 313
I'm not sure if you can just reseal over the existing silicone. It would certainly be easier.

I'd just use it as is if its not leaking

Use silicone eater to remove any excess silicone first.

Silicone doesn't stick on set silicone.

definetly man. I got aa used 55 gallon an she leaked all over when i got it 3/4 the way full. Its simple.

Take a razor blade, scrape off all the silicone on the inside. ( Don't hit the silicone between the panes, that's what holds the tanks together)
take some acetone or nail polish remover an clean the residue off the sides.
add some tape for straight lines.
smash in a silicone tube to your caulking gun.
go to town.

I personally waited 3 days even tho the stuff I got cured in 12 hours.

I advise resealing any new tank you just get. you don't know where its been. Good luck.

My leak was at the bottom too. so I couldn't even temp patch it D:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back