URGENT! Bacterial + fungal treatment options

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ErinReneeh

Reaction score
Meet Barrance, I have had him for 2 years and he has always been super healthy, active and exploding with personality. He has never been ill before.
I noticed this spot on his back behind his top fin and tail fin. After tons of research, I was convinced it was colomnaris...I just started treating him yesterday with aquarium salt and furan 2... Today he had his 2 nd dose of furan. He is not lethargic and still has a healthy appetite today.
Today I found stuff about fungal diseases that mad me think it might be fungal and not bacterial!!! Can someone help identify his disease and help me treat it? Could I treat him with ampicillin while using furan? I just really love my fish and don't want him to die...I will do whatever I can. I ordered kanoplex today as well...
To answer questions, he has a heater and filter. And is in a 2.5 gallon container. I just took out all of his gravel and plants.
Please help
20180311_163409(0)_kindlephoto-22888480.jpg
20180311_163410_kindlephoto-22822689.jpg

Can you please answer the following questions.

How big is the tank?
Has it got a heater? What is it set to?
Has it got a filter?
How strong is the current?
Is it cycled?
How often do you change water?
How much water do you change?
Do you vacuum the substrate?
What additives or chemicals do you use? Eg De Chlorinator?
Do you use tap or bottled water? If bottled water please give us the brand.
Do you have a water test kit?
Can you tell us the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
When you clean the tank can you tell us exactly what you do.
What do you feed him? how much? how often?
Any tank mates? What sort how many?
How long have you had the Betta?
Has he got a history of illness?
Any plants or decorations? Please give details?
Can you provide a close up photo of the fish?
Can you provide a photo of the tank?

Tank is 2 gallons
Heater set to 76-78
Has a small sponge filter. slow current.
I don't understand cycling.
I do a 20% water change once a week and full every other.
I don't vacuum. I clean the substrate every other wk.
I only use stress coat and De- chlorinator for tap water
I do not have a water test kit.
When i do partial water changes i scoop out 20% water with a cup and put exactly as many scoops back in with dechlorinator. When doing full change i put fish in another container and dump tank, clean rocks and plants with hot water and refill being careful to ensure temp is same, add dechlorinator and then fish.
I feed him 2xs a day. 3 pellets. 2 bloodworms. I watch him eat and there is never food just left.
No tank mates.
Had Barrance for 2yrs.
Never been sick before.
2 silk plants, betta hammock leaf, and HAD 3 marimo mosm balls i just threw out. Had rocks i threw out.
I posted 2 photos of my fish in my original post.
I do not have photo of my tank.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my friend, he is sick, I'm asking for help, so please Keep Criticisms Of My Care And Tank To An Extreme Minimum. All I Need Is Help With The treatment To Save My Friend...
Thankyou.

your fish is old and has a bacterial infection. Male Siamese fighting fish only live 2-3 yrs maximum and they are usually 6 months old when you buy them.

Salt might work. Try using 1 heaped tablespoon of rock salt or swimming pool salt for every 20litres of water. In your small container you only need about 1 level tablespoon of salt.

I would not bother treating the entire container with medication. Instead get a small bottle of methylene blue or broad spectrum medication, scoop the fish up in a net and lift out of bowl and hold over a paper towel or another bowl. Then apply a couple of drops of medication directly to the wound. Wait 20seconds then put fish back in his bowl. Do this each day and see how he goes.

Salt and medication directly on the wound should clear the problem up.

You can feed him some frozen or live fish food like brineshrimp, mosquitoes, mozzie larvae, aphids, small flies caught by hand (no bug sprays allowed) each day. This can help build him up physically and provide nutrients he might not be getting from the dry food.

Male Siamese fighting fish only live 2-3 yrs maximum
Im sorry but thats not correct, a well cared for fish can easily live 5 years.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back