Urgent ! Angelfish Problems - Massive Fighting

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bloo

~ I learn something new ~ ~~~~ every day ~~~~
Reaction score
I sent a pm to Tolak as he seems to be quite an Anglefish expert, but then realised that he might not see my pm for quite a while - so perhaps one of you guys with Angelfish experience could help me !

I've obviously done something wrong here and now sure how things are going to pan out.

But on Saturday I got a beautiful large (what I thought is large adult) Angelfish. It's settled in very well into the tank. So today I happen to see an ad for a free mature Angelfish - which I thought would make a great mate. I was quite shocked when I picked it up though, as this fish is just huge! And really quite stunning and chunky with a large belly.

But when I introduced it into the tank, the other smaller one (that's only been in there a couple of days now) went straight to attack it :crazy: and now seems to relentlessly hound the much larger fish. They are now liplocking and huffing and puffing at each other and the large one is cowering in a corner :-(

Will this settle ? Will they cause serious injury ? What do I do ? :/

Ps: they are in a 100US gallon tank with a bunch of loaches, corys & rainbow fish (all of which the Angels seem to ignore entirely).

I think that this could be from the larger one now invading the smaller ones tank, and they are now fighting for dominance.

I had the same problem when I introduced 4 more angel fish into my tank, but it wasn't so bad as there was 4 to spread the aggression around. I seperated the dominant angel and then redid my tank, so they don't have their own territory anymore. I added all my fish when I got everything back to normal, and kept my dominant angel in a jug for about an hour, then put him back in. At first there was a bit of nipping, but after 10-15 mins everything was calm, and they are all friends now. Yes, I know 5 angels is too much for a 20G but i'm considering rehoming some.

Neal

Hi there,

Sadly that what they will do. They are territorial fish. It SHOULD quieten down in a few fays. Just make sure they are both getting food and you shouldn't have to worry.

In a 100gallon tank you could easily have 2 breeding pairs in it so two fish shouldn't be a problem.

In the mean time just keep an eye on them. If it gets rough just open the lid and either feed them or put the net in and chase the aggressor away.

I hope it all works out.

Joel

Hi there,

Sadly that what they will do. They are territorial fish. It SHOULD quieten down in a few fays. Just make sure they are both getting food and you shouldn't have to worry.

In a 100gallon tank you could easily have 2 breeding pairs in it so two fish shouldn't be a problem.

In the mean time just keep an eye on them. If it gets rough just open the lid and either feed them or put the net in and chase the aggressor away.

I hope it all works out.

Joel
Thanks Joel - that's reassured me somewhat. I was just really surprised to see such a much larger fish being bullied & beaten up by a smaller one.

I've tried chasing them away from each other, but it obviously makes no difference whatsoever.
After some continuous heavy lip locking and "prancing", the smaller one's backed off a slight bit - but as soon as the larger one just flinches, he's back in the blink of an eye to beat him down :/

And there I thought Angels were lovely serene "angelic" fish. I knew of their territorial behaviour and potential aggression to tank mates when a breeding pair wants to breed - but I didn't realise this would happen with 2 brand new fish unknown to each other and both unfamiliar with their territories.

I've fed them now as well, but food seems of no interest whatsoever.

I hope it works out - they are both stunning fish :wub:

Thanks guys !

Im sure it will be fine ... If the biggest fish wanted to get out the way it could in that size tank. You never know the male could be showing how strong and mighty he is and you could have a nice pair on your hands :good:

Before you ask ... no you cant sex an angel fish Lol.

Keep us update,

Joel

yup i'd re-arrange the tank a bit, with any territorial fish you should have a bit of a move around when you introduce new one's. Angels do fight with each other quite a bit..... but you never know they could have taken an instant liking to each other and be getting ready to breed :wub: that sometimes looks like battering each other :rolleyes:

:lol: if that was instant love, it must have been millisecond love and within less time than the blink of an eye !
I'll try and get some piccies soon - they truly are beauties :wub:

I take it you didn't try mine and Miss Wiggles suggestion then, it's no problem but it probably would of helped you, but if they are calming down I suppose there is no need.

Neal

Thanks Neal (and miss Wiggle!) but my spare tanks are up in the loft and there was no way I was climbing in there this time of night to set everything up - well unless I had to. Things have calmed down a bit now, but the larger less aggressive one definitely got a beating and his tail is a bit split now :(

There's extremely little reorginisation to be done as the tank is so high and none of my decor or plants help enough for re-arranging to have any effect really.

I'll check again how they are doing in the morning and report back :good:

Well this morning the tables seem to have turned completely - and the smaller one is looking pretty stressed and tired with some heavy breathing going on. The larger one is prancing around now and chasing (but not biting) the smaller one. I just hope they resolve this squabble soon :/
Could they die of stress in a fairly short space of time - or at what point should I take action to prevent stress and death ?
Or am I being silly and they'll be just fine in a few days ?

Do what you think is best.

If you are going to take one out of the tank it will only get picked on again once back in the tank. Try and sit it out if you can. If not break them up and let both of them get back on track condition wise.

When putting them back together take the one in the main tank out of the tank place the other one in give it 5mins and put the other one back in.

Joel

Thanks again Joel. I just have no experience in dealing with such semi-aggressive / territorial behaviour and physical attacks - it's quite distressing for me!
I wil assess the situation again tonight.

OK got some piccies :) The white one with the orange cheeks (hence I think of as a girl!) is the smaller one and was the initial aggressor. Don't know what you call that colour?
The black marble type one (again, don't know the colour) has now turned into the aggressor, but not until after he got so stressed and harassed that his tail fin got damaged and spilt a bit :(

But here they are - is it normal for them (the black marble) to have such a huge belly ? It doesn't show well in the photo though.
The ones of them close to the sand is obviously when they've been fighting :/

They seem a "bit" calmer now - but still like dogs with their hackles raised making mock chases and nips.
The last pic is for a size comparison.

IMG_7632cs.jpg

IMG_7657cs.jpg

IMG_7640cs.jpg

IMG_7646c.jpg

IMG_7658as.jpg

Nice fish :good:

The belly could be because 'she' (if it is a she) is full of eggs or more likely just be well fed Lol.

If it get alot bigger though it may be some sort of internal problem. I dont think it is though as she looks very healthy.

Joel

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back