Upside down Catfish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

tomer126

Reaction score
hey, i got a fish tank that is about 60 liter, and i got an upside down cat fish and an oscar in it. from the pictures on the internet, it looks like it is a Asian upside down catfish. now, the tank look a bit empty, so i was thinking if and what fish should i add to the tank. (got a heater, filter, air pump and some hiding places)

You can't add more fish.

I'm afraid your tank isn't big enough for an upside down catfish or the oscar. They both need a tank that's at least four feet long :/

You either need to get a bigger tank or rehome the fish, or they will get stunted, sick or even die :/

60 liters can actually go pretty far. unfortunately you will need to re-home both fish like fluttermoth said.

okay so we know that your water is pretty hard so we can give you a few suggestions.

you could do a live bearer tank as most, not all live bearers are suited to hard water, a school of cories can work depending and they make a tank have so much more character.

i cant give you exact details on the fish that like hard water but i can tell you that there are many ie fluttermoth that can.

umm i don't have another tank for them, so what do i do, take them out to a pet store and give them? this is my first tank, so i don't really know how to handle these kind of situations... by the way, the oscar started to act weird, it lay down at the bottom of the tank on his side, so i tried to feed it, and as soon as i did, he started to swim as good as new, and when i went off, it started to lay at the bottom again...

yes i would say that to try and get them back to the store is your best option. we can work from there.

can we please have a picture of the tank so that we know exactly what we are dealing with.

Yes; ring around your local stores until you find someone who'll take them, I'm sure someone will help you out, if you explain that you can't keep them properly.

I suggest you quickly return the fish. That oscar is far to big already for that little tank and should be moved to a proper home before it becomes sick. Same with the catfish. Neither can live a long life in such a small tank.

i'll give a call for the pet stores around to see if any of them can take this fish...
after that i will clean the tank and get a completely new fish for the tank. so i will do some research and ask here if anything pops up.

okay great:yahoo:

once you have got the tank clean you cant just fill it up and put fish in unfortunately. you need to cycle the tank properly first. go and read up about it in the threads that deal with cycling a tank.

wow, there is a lot of info there... when we got the tank, all the pet store staff told us to do was to put some ammonia from this little bottle that we bought and leave the tank running for 2-3 weeks, and then add the fish, and the fish seemed ok back then... can't i just do that again?

if not, maybe i can keep some of the water in the tank and put it back to speed up the process?

no you cant unfortunately.

its not the water rather the filter. and you should defiantly put the filter i a bucket and some of the tank water as this will defiantly speed the process up.

Most reactions

Back