Upside down Catfish red bump on eye

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ewing33ny

Reaction score
I have an upside down catfish and he has a big red bump on his eye. What can it be and can it be contagious to my other fish?

Attachments

• IMG_2206.JPG
    IMG_2206.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 309
That's a bacterial infection, and should be treated immediately. Pop-eye can lead to more extensive exterior and interior bacterial infections, and eventually death. There are plenty of meds for bacterial infections... just do a google search. You can get at least Maracyn (by Mardel) at pretty much any LFS. You chould also be able to get Myacin (by Aquatronics), though this is a slightly less-well-known brand.

But yes, you do have to remove him to a QT tank, as any meds will kill off the *beneficial* denitrifying bacteria in your tank quickly.

Thank you very much for your response, I took him out and will purchase the maracyn. My PH is 7.2 and the water temp is 76. Thanks again!

Yes but what are your parameters, when you took him out did you put him in QT? catfish like I fine sand substrate, you have gravel. This affects their barbs. and ultimately there happiness and health

I have an old tank, which i filled with gravel, a heater and an air pump. Thanks again for your help!

well we didn't get anywhere, I cant "help" if you don't give me the answers...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back