Upgrading From 60 To 120 Gallons

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hamsnacks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello,

So my current setup is a 60 Gallon tank that is 48" Wide, and it has been very successful in growing plants, unfortunately, I am a bit overstocked with fish and the plants are starting to take up some swimming space. I currently have 4 x 55W Sunblaster Lights that are 48" long each that hang a foot or so above the tank.

1)
Now if I were to upgrade to a 120 Gallon tank, that is 6 Feet wide, could I leave my current light setup and be able to reach the whole tank? If I were to put the lights right in the center, so about 12" on each side of the tank would technically not have a light directly over them. I am not worried about the depth difference because I can buy another bulb or 2, the system can hold a total of 7 bulbs. But would it be enough or is that extra 12" on each side too large of a distance for proper lighting to reach plants in that area? Most likely Jungle Vals or similar in that space.

2)
I determined my CO2 Rate based on the ph drop of 1, in theory, would I be doubling my current rate when moving to a 120 gallon or doesn't really work like that?

3) Would 2 Aquaclear 70s and 1 Aquaclear 110 be sufficient enough for a 120gallon tank?

Thank you!

If you add the extra globes you will get some light on the sides but it might not be sufficient for plants that require high light levels. In which case you could plant medium to low light requiring plants there. You would have to try it tho, you might be fine.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back