Update On Funfair Goldfish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nic1

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hiya,
I know I keep on banging on about this but I thought id update with the latest email sent to me, instead of going through it all I will paste it as follows:

Hello Nicola.

We are sorry that seeing this up set you. We have spoke to the operator of the stall. And asked him for an explanation ,
Please see email from the operator of the stall who was giving the gold fish as prizes.

As of immediate effect Wallis's amusements have decide to in force a ban on there tenants giving gold fish as prizes on all of there fairground's

Kind Regards
David.
Wallis's amusements.

Subject: Goldfish

To who it may concern regarding goldfish , I have been looking after goldfish for 50 years , we have attended prestwich carnival for many years and the RSPCA has visited each year and have been satisfied with the care and environment of the fish , we also give vouchers so you can collect your fish when you go home , we also supply bowls food and care for your fish information , we have many of satisfied customers that return each year , I hope this satisfies your concerns , yours faithfully ,

j Hackett .

Wish I could speak to J Hackett myself and see how much he actually knows ;) as for the RSPCA are they blind!!
Anyway, no more fish as prizes at all of their carnivals ! Yay :)

Ha! The reason their customers return year after year is probably because their fish have died in the meantime and they want to replace them!
Well done for getting the practice stopped at least in one venue - every little helps!

Small steps :) brilliant result.

As for Mr Hacket and the RSPCA meeting minimal standards is why this continues, his reply shows his knowledge by stating they supply bowls!!!

Haha! Yeah that's what I thought.
Just glad it's been resolved.

Well done, Nic!

Well, the end result is the main aim. Well done.

As for the RSPCA, well, as soon as anyone see them coming their way, people will quickly cover their tracks and lie through their teeth to get away with things.

My question is, do the RSPCA know what to look for when it comes to fishkeeping?
Could well be the case most RSPCA officers wont know much when comes to fish and their care, very basic stuff perhaps?

Be interesting to know if RSPCA officers go through anything to do with fishkeeping in their training?

Probably an issue to discuss for another day or thread.

Anyway, glad you persevered about the funfair goldfish and I, for one, am very glad to hear that particular funfair will stop giving goldfishes as prizes. Excellent :)

Been following all your posts regarding this Nic, well done for getting something done about it!

Well done.  This happened at our local street fair last year.  I complained and got a "we will look into it" response.

This year - sad to see that it was exactly the same.

I believe the law says that animals as prizes cannot be given to minors, and they get around this by giving the prizes to the parents instead (or to the child with the parents consent).  At least this year they were also giving away *little* plastic starter fish tanks - but better than the plastic pots with holes cut in the lids that the fish were in.

This was the only blot on an otherwise well-run street fair.

To name and shame....  this happened at :

Groby Street Fair (Leicester, Leicestershire, LE6).

Thanks you,
I actually learnt a wealth of knowledge from this site, more than any book Ior article I have ever read about fish keeping, it helped a lot when putting my views across, so well done every one :)

Maybe when the Leicester street fair comes back with the poor fish you should let us all know so we can all put in a complaint and see what happens ;)

This is great news and really shouldn't be happening in this day and age.

Funnily enough though my first ever goldfish came from a fair and lived for about 15 years!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back