Unwanted Betta Help !

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Djs7137

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My friend just gave me a betta fish because he didnt want it anymore. So i bought it a new betta cube kit until i can afford a new tank. The only thing I was wondering about was this tank does not and cannot fit a filter because its only a 0.7 gallon cube :( and I need to get him in it right away because he is in a bag. I was wondering if i can fill it with water and add water conditioner and let him in. My other concern is having no filter i am going to be using sand as my substrate would this be alright and if not i guess i can use the river pebbles that came with the kit.

Thank You !!

Hey guys,

My friend just gave me a betta fish because he didnt want it anymore. So i bought it a new betta cube kit until i can afford a new tank. The only thing I was wondering about was this tank does not and cannot fit a filter because its only a 0.7 gallon cube :( and I need to get him in it right away because he is in a bag. I was wondering if i can fill it with water and add water conditioner and let him in. My other concern is having no filter i am going to be using sand as my substrate would this be alright and if not i guess i can use the river pebbles that came with the kit.

Thank You !!

How long will you need to keep him in the cube? For now, I would fill it with room temp water and add the water conditioner, then float the bag on the surface (if there is even room). That will get the water in the bag to the same temp. Float for ten minutes, then add some water from the cube to the bag and reseal it, then let it float ten minutes more. That will help him get used to the new water. I wouldn't put the water from the bag in the cube- depending on how long he's been in there, it might already have waste built up.

The problem is going to be the same waste building up in the little cube, since you won't have a filter (plus the small size). You'll need to do water changes frequently until you get a proper tank. I'm paranoid, so I would buy a API master kit and change the water daily. Always condition the water first. I would also be very careful not to overfeed, which will create a faster build up of waste.

Understand though that I've only been keeping fish for about 8 months, and I've had my first betta only a few days, so I'm not an expert. Hopefully other people will be able to give you better advice (or correct me if I've gotten anything wrong!)

I'd go with the pebbles only because having to do frequent water changes in a small tank with sand is going to kick up a lot of the sand. If you can keep the fish & tank in a warmer location that will help, closer to 80F the better. As mentioned, feed less, especially if the tank & fish is in a cooler location.

Would you be able to get a large breeding net/container or a divider and put it in your main tank to section off a bit for him to live in instead? This would mean no frequent water changes. If you go for a divider, make sure there are no gaps for him to escape through, and that the divider goes above the surface by about 2 cm.
Then, he can live in there until you sort out a tank for him to live in himself? :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back