Unsure if my tank has cycled or yet to begin? 3 weeks hardy fish in.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Paiged1994

Reaction score
Hi all. I started cycling my 65L boyu with built in hood filter 3 weeks ago. I am doing a fish in cycle with 4 zebra danios. Ever since beggining this hobby I've had low readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, with a tank tempartute of 23 degrees Fahrenheit, ammonia levels 0.75, nitrite levels 0 nitrate levels of 0, I did have a nitrate level of 0.5 last week with no increase in anything else, this has no vanised. My tests are all the liquid sort and I'm sure to shake the bottles firstly. The PH of my tank is 8.1 which I understand is way to high, but my LPS told me it's because it's a new tank and will soften out during the cycle I used all in one water conditioner in the tank to begin with. I have also been using seachem stability for seven days with the right measurements as directed on the bottle. I also feed my danios 2 times per day (Which I've been feeding twice the amount as during the first week to attempt to increase ammonia quicker) I have been told not to do any water changes by my local fish stores just yet. But I'm worried my cycle isn't working for some reason? Perhaps because of seachem stabilitt? MAny adive is of great help as I am fairly new to this hobby but have done a lot of research before beggining. Thanks guys
upload_2017-5-5_18-25-1.png

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 215
Thank you for doing research before starting an aquarium! That is one of our favorite things to hear on the forum :) I'm not an expert on the cycling process so I will let someone else help you with that:p but one thing I did notice is that Danios should not be kept in 23 degree water. 65 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit is what is recommended. Do you have a heater?

I think he meant Celsius as water would freeze at 23 degrees. As for fish in cycling my opinion is that feeding less is actually more. Your fish don't need to eat twice a day to remain healthy and overfeeding in an effort to aid the BB cycle is more likely to harm if not kill the fish (who are already at risk in the cycling process). I understand the desire to cycle a tank as quickly as possible but I cannot stress enough the importance of cycling very slowly with a fish in cycle. You don't want your spikes to be too large in a fish-in cycle.

As for the water changes. It's complete bogus that you should not be changing water during this process. Water changes do not stunt a cycle so long as there is at least some ammonia in the water column, and since you have fish in the tank there is a constant supply of it.

I would personally be feeding the fish once every other day and I would also be changing water every time ammonia reaches .25 to avoid burning the fishes gills.
Hope this helps, let me know if you want more details on anything I've written above

Thank you for doing research before starting an aquarium! That is one of our favorite things to hear on the forum :) I'm not an expert on the cycling process so I will let someone else help you with that:p but one thing I did notice is that Danios should not be kept in 23 degree water. 65 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit is what is recommended. Do you have a heater?

It's at 23degress Celsius :)
Yes I have a heater.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back