Unknown Shrimp Eggs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

stanleo

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
This is really cool. One of the shrimp in my 29g tank has eggs. I would love to try to keep has many of the babies as possible but I am not entirely sure of the species. The LFS had them labeled as wrisker shrimp but I have very little on this species. Does anyone else have them? Has anyone else bred them before? What is their life cycle? Here is a pick.

Judging by its rostrum (and not being able to see its front nippers - are they really long?) it looks like its in the Macrobachium species of shrimp. If so most of them live and breed in fresh water but their young which will have larval stages need green and brackish water to survive and develop.
Also the size of its eggs makes me think its a macrobachium, basically lots of small eggs = a shrimp that will have a brackish stage in its life cycle, while few large eggs = instant miniature adults when the eggs hatch like Caridina and Neocaridia species of shrimp.

Thank you Baccus, that helps a lot. The pincers are on long thin arms and tiny and they use them to grab food. If this species does require brackish water for the young then I think I should just let them be because a. I don't know a thing about brackish water and b. I have no room for another tank and c. my husband would kill me if I did get another tank lol.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back