Unknown affliction (photos)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rook426

Reaction score
I recently dealt with a fungal infection in my big tank. It has been 3 weeks since and I have been keeping an eye on this fish as her colouration had changed and she seemed to have additional black pigment blotches that seemed quite deep in the skin. Over the last week it's become apparent that the darker areas were becoming open sores so she is now in a hospital tank were she can be treated separately. Over the last couple of days the scabs which initially seemed shallow have now become rough and lumpy looking. I have no idea what this is, if anyone has a clue and has any info it would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• _20190102_212556.JPG
    _20190102_212556.JPG
    426.7 KB · Views: 124
  • _20190102_212433.JPG
    _20190102_212433.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 111
  • _20190102_212508.JPG
    _20190102_212508.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 123
The black patching is bruising or chemical burns and is normally found on fish that have been exposed to high levels of medications or other chemicals like chlorine or chloramine.

It's possible a bacterial infection is developing in the sores but that will normally appears as a red area.

In one image (89775), the fish appears to be missing the scales in the black area. I can't tell anything from the other 2 pictures. If the scales are falling off they should regrow assuming an infection didn't cause them to drop off.

I would monitor the fish and try to get some better images and see how things go.

You can try doing a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a couple of weeks. That usually helps fish. Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wipe the inside of the glass down whenever you do a water change.

You can try adding a fish vitamin supplement to its diet. If you can't get any fish vitamins then look for a reptile or bird vitamin supplement. If you use reptile or bird supplements add it to the food once a day for 6 days and do not use it on the 7th day. If you use a fish vitamin supplement you can use it twice a day for a few weeks and then follow the directions on the packet.
Try to get a dry powder vitamin supplement rather than a liquid one, and check the expiry date before you buy it.
You can give vitamins to the other fish too.

If you have carrot or any orange or blue fruit, you can cut them up into little pieces and feed the fish that. You can also juice orange and purple fruits and veges and soak the food in the juice for a minute before feeding. Use a frozen (but defrosted) food for this.

Thank you for the info chemical burns may make sense due to medication used to treat fungal infection but I wonder as no other fish has this including the rope fish I would assume them to be more prone to chess in the water? I have anti parasite, ulcer and fungal medication but would I be better off continuing with salt for now?

If a fish swims into a cloud of medication that has just been added to the tank it can poison them. Tetras are pretty quick to respond to something at the surface and that fish might have swum into the medication as it was added to the tank. The ropefish would have remained at the bottom and the medication should have been diluted to a safer level by the time it got to the bottom of the aquarium. And some fish are less tolerant to chemicals compared to other fish in the same species.

I would assume them to be more prone to chess in the water?
I don't understand this statement?

If you have been adding salt and it is getting worse, then the salt is not helping and you should stop using it.

What are the ingredients in the other medication you have?

Chems I meant to say not chess! Heh I've been treating with with an fish treatment containing malachite green

Malachite Green is great for killing protozoans but does nothing to fungus or bacteria.

Methylene Blue kills bacteria and fungus. It also kills filter bacteria and stains the silicon blue so is best used in a separate quarantine tank.

Formaldehyde (Formalin) also kills bacteria and fungus.

Most broad spectrum fish medications contain a combination of these chemicals.

-------------------------
*NB* Malachite Green is carcinogenic (causes cancer) so try to avoid getting it on your hands, and wash your hands and arms with soapy water after working in the tank or handling chemicals.

Formaldehyde is also poisonous so avoid contact with that too.

-------------------------
Keep test kits and medications cool and dry to maximise their shelf life. I kept mine in a plastic container in the bottom of the fridge.

*NB* Make sure children and animals can't get them because they have poisonous chemicals in them.

Tried to get better pic tho only one as her stress levels were understandably high. It has got worse with more of her tail being lost and also a cloudiness starting in one eye. Salt treatment has stopped and 70% water changes every day with no improvement. Formaldehyde was also in the medication given. Would a medication containing Methylene Blue help or hinder in this case? Perhaps a half dose

Attachments

• _20190104_230751.JPG
    _20190104_230751.JPG
    291.8 KB · Views: 124
At this stage I would probably put the fish down. Once ulcers spread like that it is very hard to save the fish. If you want to try Methylene Blue you can but I personally wouldn't waste my money. I would euthanize the fish and do 75% water changes and gravel clean the main display tank each day for a week and hope the rest of the fish are ok.

If you want to try treating the fish then Methylene Blue or an anti-biotic but it would be cheaper to replace the fish and all the medication might not help.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back