Unexplained Death

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

karen1908

Reaction score
Hi

I have kept tropical fish for just over a year having a 64l tank with sparkling gouramis, neon tetras, black tetras, and last Sunday I added my first platys. I really love them. They are such fiesty litte fish and really bring my tank out.

I noticed yesterday that two of the fish, a male and a female, seemed to be sleeping a lot. I fed the fish as usual yesterday evening and the female platy that was sleeping a lot didn't feed very much. The male one started to swim around a feed with the others.

Again this am the same two fish are at the back together. I have keet checking on them all morning. Then just now when I checked the female one has died. There seems to be no apparent reason for this. All water levels are within normal parameters.

Please help as I a worried that my male platy will go the same way and they were so happy when I introduced them at weekend.

Many thanks

Karen

Hi Karen
For anyone to be able to help we will need some more info
What are your water test readings
When did you do you last do a water change/ how much water you changed
And any other info like I have just give the tank a annual strip down and clean
Or anything that you have changed or added

Welcome the the livebearer section Karen. One thing that would ask is how much water you change in your tanks and how often. A situation can develop gradually over time where the fish in a tank are fine although the water has become quite high in chemicals like nitrates. When a new fish is introduced to the tank, they are not used to the high concentrations and it affects them adversely. This is called old tank syndrome and was once very common. The dilemma lies in trying to deal with the situation. The fish that have been there all along will be hurt if you do a large water change when the fish are not ready for it, but the new fish really need better water in a hurry. What we usually do in that kind of situation is recommend a 10% daily water change to start bringing up the water quality without damaging the fish that have been there all along. This way the better water quality comes along quickly enough to help the new fish without damaging the long term residents.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back