Uh Oh!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

canis_lupus

Fishaholic
Reaction score
well i shoulda stumbled across this site sooner.....i did everything wrong :*) ......guess i just got 2 excited :crazy: i set up my tank and then like a day later i got a goldfish and 2 days after that i got a betta and a platy and today i got 2 guppies i didn't cycle or whatever or anything :-( nothing has died yet...i'll just hope 4 the best

The ammonia levels aren't high enough yet in just 2 days to worry about fish casualties.

Any fish that is used ina cycling of a tank will suffer very much. The hardiest will live, but they also have been through hell in the cycling process. The ammonia attacks the gill membranes of all fish and renders them either struggling to breathe or death.

There is no need to use any fish to cycle a tank. There is just no positive for it, imo. If anyone knows any positive for it, please let me know.

Not when you can use a fishless cycling and it will cycle faster, more stable and you can add the full compliment of fish when it's done. When you cycle with fish, the fish suffer and usually die. Those that "live" are very unhealthy and will not live as long as a life as usual. So those that think that if they use a fish to cycle a tank and the fish live...those fish are pretty much dead already and will live a very shortened life, that is if they didn't die during the process of cycling the tank.

To use a fishless cycling it's cycled faster, no fish are harmed and you can add ALL the fish you want to keep at once and it's ok.

If you cycle WITH fish, you shorten the life expectancy of any fish you choose to to cycle with, IF they live, you can't add more than 1 or 2 fish after the cycling is done, to let the bacteria build up to handle more of a bioload of fish and even then, the fish you already have established suffer in the process.

Fishless cycling is the only way to go if you love fish.

:)

i agree with the whole fishless cycle thing. think it is cruel to use any animal like that.

one thing i do not agree on though is adding all of the fish at once. on a newly established tank that is just cycled, the fish have to be added slowly so the bacteria can multiply to handle the bio load of the tank. otherwise you could send the tank into a minicycle. basically having to start all over again.

semper fi

semper fi said:
i agree with the whole fishless cycle thing. think it is cruel to use any animal like that.

one thing i do not agree on though is adding all of the fish at once. on a newly established tank that is just cycled, the fish have to be added slowly so the bacteria can multiply to handle the bio load of the tank. otherwise you could send the tank into a minicycle. basically having to start all over again.

semper fi
Not when you do a fishless cycling. Once you end a fishless cycling you can add a full load the very first day it's done. When you do a fishless cycle, all the bacteria is already there and you want to add the full load at once. In fact, bacteria will die because they don't have enough ammonia to feed on even with the full load.

well my tank has had fish in it for 5 days now and they don't seem to be suffering :blink: , this is the second tank i've had and the fish actually seem to be more active than ever..........i think i need a test kit :crazy:

canis_lupus said:
well my tank has had fish in it for 5 days now and they don't seem to be suffering :blink: , this is the second tank i've had and the fish actually seem to be more active than ever..........i think i need a test kit :crazy:
Have you talked to them and they told you that?

I'm sorry for being sarcastic.

There is NO fish that doesn't suffer or die when used for cycling. None. They all fight to breath and live whether we see it or not.

canis_lupus said:
:-( yah and i feel really bad so what can i say i didn't know
Oh, I'm sorry. I was only trying to joke around with you and be sarcastic and have fun. :eek:

Please forgive me. I shouldn't have been like that.

I apologize. :(

:D it's ok i'm just kinda stressed out i really don't want to lose my fish....so i'm gonna get a test kit tomorrow and i think everything will be alright..... :thumbs:

AHH I didnt know about the whole fishless cycle thing... How long does it take for a tank to cycle??

AHH I didnt know about the whole fishless cycle thing... How long does it take for a tank to cycle??

How long is a piece of string?

What size is your tank?

oh and canis_lupus.....HURRAH FOR YOUR VINCE AV!!!! :thumbs:

Hiya,

Im by no means an expert but im hopin someone will back me up. Try and get hold of some filter media from someones tank that has already cycled (has fish in it), try and pinch some gravel out of a cycled tank and offer to replace it with clean stuff.

Think you can buy something called ammo lock which stops the ammonium harmin the fishies. Keep the water as clean as possible and dont over feed the fish.

Hopefully we can get them through it! :D

Matt :p

P.S Hurry up and get that test done!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back