Ugh... Ich!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Candyco

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
:S Well my sons tank is now riddled with ich for the second time.... (i look after it for him)
I'm blaming myself though, there was a little head n tail light that had Dropsy for 2 months then got ich & died... i couldn't take him out as i have no hospital tank, it didn't occur to me that i was sentencing the 4 silver sharks... 3 other head n tails...4 black widow tetras and clown loach to death. They are all dying.
I've tried anti-whitespot, temp up to 80 and a 25% water change.

Anyone got any more ideas for me? I feel like a murderess now :sad:

Raise the temp to 85, but check whether your fish can take it or not.

Keep the water clean. Buy some medicine and follow instructions on back of bottle. jungle Ick Guard, the stuff I use, mentions changing 25% water everyday, not sure if that's just a scheme to get more $ or not, but I usually do a wc plus add the med. every 2-3 days. If I really did follow instructions, since the bottle is just 59ml, I'll have to add 16.5 ml everyday, and buy a new bottle in 3 days. :/

Also, you'll have to continue medication for a few days after you last see signs of the disease. (spots, and scratching on tank/decor) If you don't, the ich parasite will not die and you'll be back to square 1 in a while.

How long did you medicate your tank for?

Use airstones in your tank, as meds + higher temp = less O2 in water for your fish.

HTH.

I hate ich too...

I noticed the ich on the 'Dropsy' fish last @ the end of last week, i've treated the tank twice since and have done 2 25% wc's so far, my temp is now up to 82 degrees, they have 1 small air stone in there at the moment. Poor little things i've lost another head n tail since i first posted this topic! Another 25% change doing now! :(

SOB SOB They're dropping like flies now

Since i first posted this topic...

:rip: 2 Head & Tail Lights
:rip: 1 Silver Shark

I have now found out that not only did i have dropsy in the tank followed by white spot i now have fin rot in there too.
I forgot to mention the 4 penguin tetras that are in the tank also... one of which passed away a short while ago minus his fins :rip:

I am so sorry to hear of your losses :(

You are doing what you can. Are you sure it is finrot? Ich damages fins too.

If your fish are as stable as they can be, I would recommend a large water change (as you plan) then put some carbon in your filter for 48 hours to take out the existing meds. Keep the temperature where it is, and the airstone going, etc.

Then try a product called eSha Exit. This worked for me when others didn't, and you can fully dose with scaleless fish (Clown Loach etc) unlike with Protozin and like meds. You can also use another eSha product called eSha 2000 which will treat the fin rot, and is perfectly safe to use with the eSha Exit.

The eSha products are also cheaper than others I have seen, and will not harm your filter bacteria.

I wish you the best of luck!

Sorry for your loss. :-( :-( I too just lost two of my platies to both Fin Rot and Ich. I was wondering if the tank water stays infected for a long time after the infected fish have been removed from the tank??? I am new to the hobby, and I don't want any new fish to die from these symptoms. Any Help?

MBfan465 said:
Sorry for your loss. :-( :-( I too just lost two of my platies to both Fin Rot and Ich. I was wondering if the tank water stays infected for a long time after the infected fish have been removed from the tank??? I am new to the hobby, and I don't want any new fish to die from these symptoms. Any Help?
All you can do is the above mentioned by the sounds of it.
The frayed fins etc could well be due to the whitespot though Cathy... hadn't thought of that!!!!
My Clown Loach is on his last fins now.... he's drifting upright around the tank but still alive, also another Black Widow Tetra is on his side floating but trying to stay alive.
TY everyone for your advice so far.... all has been taken note of but nothing seems to be saving the poor mites, no sign of improvement at all. Was up half the night with them.

Situations as it stands @ 18:10 24/2/2005
:rip: Silver Shark
:rip: Black Widow Tetra
:rip: Penguin Tetra
:rip: 2 Head & Tail Lights

Kaz

Sorry for the losses R.I.P. finrot is the secondary infection there chances of survival decrease when this happens.

Wilder said:
Sorry for the losses R.I.P. finrot is the secondary infection there chances of survival decrease when this happens.
Th dilemma i'm having now is how to dispose of them the ones that have passed on so far have been wrapped in newspaper and put in the bin.... i don't like the cremating idea.
What other methods are acceptable?

Kaz

I bury mine in the garden.

make your own mind up don't let others do it for you, can't see any problems unless it was foot and mouth.

Wilder said:
make your own mind up don't let others do it for you, can't see any problems unless it was foot and mouth.
Don't know.....
Like you say, probably best to make my own mind up.... everyone deals with it their own way i suppose. It's just a task i really hate doing. Getting depressing now!
Take care & ty all! Kaz

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back