Ugh ich

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mamaorca77

Reaction score
Ok, so after a rough start getting back into the hobby, it seems for the last week or so that everything is FINALLY going right, with the exception of a minor nitrate/nitrite issue that I got under control quick! So, a few days ago I took in a rescue male platy since my other died and this one was on his way down the toilet if I didn't take him. As an animal lover (2 rescued cats, a rescued dog, and now the platy I call Zinger (he's a yellow variegated, and bumblebee is overused! LOL) I couldn't let that happen! Well, my buddy Zinger, unbeknownst to me, has ich. He's now in my hospital tank which was intended for my son's goldfish to upgrade their situation. He's getting Tetra Lifeguard daily and doesn't seem to be suffering, which is a good thing. My question is, I have never had any of my fish in my other tanks with ich, so after ALOT of research on what his prob was and how to fix it, I now see that carbon in the filter sucks up the meds. I have a Tetra Whisper filter that has a cartridge with carbon (a well used one from a buddy's tank to help jumpstart my cycle on this one, because I knew to quarantine any new guys and thank goodness I did!!) My current QT tank is a 5 gal with great water quality. As I said, he seems to be doing good, and I actually am seeing no new spots on him, but I know they drop off and I don't want to lose him! Only issue I can see with him is he's a bit shy (maybe)..My other tank is butted up against his and he hides whenever he sees the other fish. He seems to enjoy hanging out in the plants, sometimes not even coming up for food! So, how can I keep Zinger getting his meds and getting ready to join the crew in the big tank without removing my whole filter and destroying that good, clear water??

Hi there

What does the cartridge look like? if there is a plastic clip on the top, slide it off then turn the cartridge inside out to remove the carbon. Turn it back and replace the clip. Make sure you do this strategically or else you are going to scatter carbon rocks everywhere.
Removing the carbon shouldn't effect the bacteria colonies. Like everyone would advise just do a water change if there is a spike in nitrate :)

Last edited:
Yeah there is a clip on top, here's a pic. And I did the water change when it spiked and am now at 0 nitrite and 20 ppm nitrate! Thank goodness for the internet, right? Lol my readings are
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
20 nitrate
pH is 7.2
KH is 80ppm
GH is hovering around 100ppm
Hoping to get this ich under control asap with Zinger, cuz all my girls are close. One of the 1st fish I bought for this tank about a month ago I think is going to go any day now!

Well, I thought I had uploaded, but it's saying the file is too large. Buuuut, yes, there is a green clip at the top so I should be able to get the carbon out! Thanks! Really wasn't sure if that was an option or if I needed to just leave the bio foam and remove the cartridge. Last tank I had (almost 20 yrs ago!) Was nowhere near as complicated! Lol

Haha, you're welcome! Hope Zinger is going to be okay. You sound like a very experienced fish keeper so I'm sure he is in great hands.

I love my animals and I enjoy reading up on what's best for them. Last time around, I had no live bearers, so I'm new to platies and guppies. They've been a learning experience for sure! I lost almost 10 fish at the start due to not cycling properly. But an awesome guy here, Colin, gave me some great advice and I managed to save my 3 female platies, my cories, and my male guppies! Who, btw, now have some lovely lady friends! Hopefully Zinger will hang in, he's really a handsome guy and with the females I have, I could end up with gorgeous fry! I'm super excited to see what the ladies are carrying ATM, since I'm almost certain they mated with my MM that died and possibly the blue wag. The gups were kept in an all female tank, I have a solid yellow tail (almost translucent body) and a half silver/blue half black female with a turquoise/yellow cobra and 2 Orange and black leopard males. We're at 2 and 2 on the m/f ratio ,but that will be remedied ASAP!

Wow, nice fish choices!

Yes, Collin is very helpful. He is great for advice and he has helped me lots.

Thank you love! And yeah, Colin is the best..I'm actually reading some advice he gave another person right now cuz my son was showing ALOT of interest in the cichlid tank..thank goodness he has a job and can support his fish habit, cuz Mama is in deep already!

Most reactions

trending

Back