Typical symptoms of diseases or false alarms

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Thanx for this great information...

I have just lost my black mollie :-( he was looking a bit ragged, and his eyes were very glazed...i did a water check using tetratest sticks, and all appeared to be fine, then one of my silver sharks died :-( so i went to a very excellent tropical fish centre, and had my water tested, and guess what,... the water was poor, there was high ammonia in it :-( :-(

I would also like to say, if anyone has any suggestions for me, i have a platinum Mollie, and she looks like she has had a stroke, her mouth is down at one side, and her eyes are starting to bulge slightly, do you think this is the ammonia poisoning too??

These sticks i would just like to say, are rubbish, and are no way accurate, i will have to get myself the test tube kit now, they seem so much better..

Anyway, i did a partial water change, and added loads of stuff to get the ammonia down, i just hope i have saved the fish i still have !!! Time will tell...i will keep you all posted ;)

Claire x

Hey guys. Im new to this forum and im also new to owning fish. I got my aquarium about a week ago. So far i have 6 Bala Sharks, and a Black Ghost Knife. All the fish are were doing fine, the water seems to be at acceptable levels according to the test strips, Ive already performed a 10% water change, treated the new water entering the tank, the temp is at 82 degrees, and this morning I fed my fish some frozen brine shrimp which they love. Now about and hour later I notice one of the smallest Bala Sharks(one of 2 small ones i have) not acting right. Its not swimming with the others like it was before and it has all its fins tucked in and just hovers in one spot most of the time. All the other fish dont harrass it or anything. It just seems sick. It has nothing physical wrong with it, not spots or dots or shredded fins, nothing. Just it has its fins tucked in and its just hovering around. Not even at the top or bottom, its in the middle! Its still eats like a champ too when i put food in, but after the feeding frenzy is over its just back to chillin around with it fins tucked in. I have no idea what could be wrong. Is it constipated maybe? I wouldnt think it would want to eat then. please help! :no:

Hey guys. Im new to this forum and im also new to owning fish. I got my aquarium about a week ago. So far i have 6 Bala Sharks, and a Black Ghost Knife. All the fish are were doing fine, the water seems to be at acceptable levels according to the test strips, Ive already performed a 10% water change, treated the new water entering the tank, the temp is at 82 degrees, and this morning I fed my fish some frozen brine shrimp which they love. Now about and hour later I notice one of the smallest Bala Sharks(one of 2 small ones i have) not acting right. Its not swimming with the others like it was before and it has all its fins tucked in and just hovers in one spot most of the time. All the other fish dont harrass it or anything. It just seems sick. It has nothing physical wrong with it, not spots or dots or shredded fins, nothing. Just it has its fins tucked in and its just hovering around. Not even at the top or bottom, its in the middle! Its still eats like a champ too when i put food in, but after the feeding frenzy is over its just back to chillin around with it fins tucked in. I have no idea what could be wrong. Is it constipated maybe? I wouldnt think it would want to eat then. please help! :no:

You are almost certainly suffering from new tank syndrome (if your aquarium IS only a week old it is highly unlikely to be cycled). Have you tested your water? You'd also be best off starting a seperate thread in the emergencies section

Do you think your fish is diseased? Check the list and see if any of the symptoms are present in your fishes. Take note of the possible causes of it on the side ;)

1. Heavy breathing - General symptom
2. Stops eating - General symptom
3. Discoloration - Stress, or plistophora. Other diseases possible.
4. Bumps - Cancer
5. Swelling (especially around the stomach area) - Dropsy, overeating, constipation (more on this later)
6. Ragged fins - Fin rot or being nipped by other fish (more on this later)
7. Gasping (at the water surface) - Lack of oxygen, poor water quality, gill flukes
8. Clamped fins - General symptom
9. Inactive (for normally active fish) - General symptom
10. Whitish, stringy poop - Internal parasites
11. Cotton wool-like growth - Fungus
12. Specks (not from original pattern) - White spot or black spot disease, depending on colour
13. Cloudy eye - Bacterial infection or poor water quality
14. Sunken belly - Internal parasites or bacteria (be careful, may be Fish TB)
15. Swollen eye - Pop-eye
16. Holes in the fish - Hole in the head
17. Red gills (inflamed) - Ammonia poisoning or gill flukes
18. Red streaks - External bacterial infection
19. White threads hanging from fish - Parasitic worms
20. Erratic swimming - Possibly terminal stage plistophora
21. Pine-coning of the scales (when viewed from above) - Dropsy
22. Swimming upside down (except in synodontis cats) - Swim bladder disease or internal injuries
23. Struggling to maintain buoyancy - Swim bladder disease
24. Scratching against surfaces - Usually with the specks symptom, caused by external parasites
25. Swollen gills - Gill flukes
26. Dusty covering - Velvet

If any of those symptoms are present, you have cause to be worried. But calm down, take a deep breath and relax. Don't panic, we're here to help you :D . Write down the symptoms you have observed or the possible diseases, and check it on this

Remember, water quality is one of the most important things. Maintain good water quality, and it is exceeding unlikely for your fish to get any disease/parasite.

Good water quality is defined as (to me) - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate 40ppm and below. :kana:

Hope this helps you, guys :thumbs:

P.T.

I need help my creamcicle molly is suffering from pop-eye and I was late in treating it I have tried 2 different kinds off anti biotica but it doesn't seem to be doing anything I have him in a hospital tank with just foam filtering and a bio wheel anyway is it posible that he is cured but because of late treatment its caused perm. damage??? I don't know if I can trust the petstore anymore....

I need help my creamcicle molly is suffering from pop-eye and I was late in treating it I have tried 2 different kinds off anti biotica but it doesn't seem to be doing anything I have him in a hospital tank with just foam filtering and a bio wheel anyway is it posible that he is cured but because of late treatment its caused perm. damage??? I don't know if I can trust the petstore anymore....
You should probably post a new topic in the tropical fish emergency section. This is just the section for the pinned topics. Scroll down further on the main page and you'll find it. The people who know a lot about stuff like this don't usually look here. They will ask you what your water parameters are and exactly what meds you used, so you might as well include that when you post.
And you're right, don't trust the petstore!

Sadly if you only had the tank a week added far to many fish to soon, how many gallons or litres is the tank, as those fish need massive tanks, clamped fins are stress, and the tank will be cycling as it has to go through the ammonia stage then the nitrite raises and goes down to 0, this all takes it t toll on the fish.
I would get some liquid test kits so we know your water stats in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate, and ph.

hi! ive read the symptoms you wrote. Im really worried. My blue tang appears to have ich (ive being treating him) and just today ive noticed that my Fire Flame Fish has small watery bumps on both sides of his body :( , i know is not ich cause they look like blisters and not like grains of salt. What can i do? thankyou

Solipe

I have an emergency and i was windering if anybody could help. My angelfish has developed popeye i think. A white ring around its eyes, and its belly had gotten alot bigger. Just seen it this morning, any ideas?

Do you think your fish is diseased? Check the list and see if any of the symptoms are present in your fishes. Take note of the possible causes of it on the side ;)

1. Heavy breathing - General symptom
2. Stops eating - General symptom
3. Discoloration - Stress, or plistophora. Other diseases possible.
4. Bumps - Cancer
5. Swelling (especially around the stomach area) - Dropsy, overeating, constipation (more on this later)
6. Ragged fins - Fin rot or being nipped by other fish (more on this later)
7. Gasping (at the water surface) - Lack of oxygen, poor water quality, gill flukes
8. Clamped fins - General symptom
9. Inactive (for normally active fish) - General symptom
10. Whitish, stringy poop - Internal parasites
11. Cotton wool-like growth - Fungus
12. Specks (not from original pattern) - White spot or black spot disease, depending on colour
13. Cloudy eye - Bacterial infection or poor water quality
14. Sunken belly - Internal parasites or bacteria (be careful, may be Fish TB)
15. Swollen eye - Pop-eye
16. Holes in the fish - Hole in the head
17. Red gills (inflamed) - Ammonia poisoning or gill flukes
18. Red streaks - External bacterial infection
19. White threads hanging from fish - Parasitic worms
20. Erratic swimming - Possibly terminal stage plistophora
21. Pine-coning of the scales (when viewed from above) - Dropsy
22. Swimming upside down (except in synodontis cats) - Swim bladder disease or internal injuries
23. Struggling to maintain buoyancy - Swim bladder disease
24. Scratching against surfaces - Usually with the specks symptom, caused by external parasites
25. Swollen gills - Gill flukes
26. Dusty covering - Velvet

If any of those symptoms are present, you have cause to be worried. But calm down, take a deep breath and relax. Don't panic, we're here to help you :D . Write down the symptoms you have observed or the possible diseases, and check it on this

Remember, water quality is one of the most important things. Maintain good water quality, and it is exceeding unlikely for your fish to get any disease/parasite.

Good water quality is defined as (to me) - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate 40ppm and below. :kana:

Hope this helps you, guys :thumbs:

P.T.
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=10266

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back