Tyler's 90Gallon Reef Project

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SaltNoob

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Here we go.... I went and looked at a 90 gallon tank that is owned by my my friends boss. He is selling me the tank for $500 USD which includes the following:

90Gallon Glass Tank drilled with Center Overflow (some minor scratches, not enough to worry about)
Stand and Canopy, will paint black (really great condition)
Sump (needs some help, will upgrade down the line and spruce up now)
T5 lighting system... Has great fixtures needs new bulbs
Pump to run sump
A couple powerheads (will upgrade to Koralias when I can afford it)
Some salt (will check to see if good)
1/2" ish of Aragonite sand (will need to be cleaned)
150-180 lbs of AWESOME very beautiful Live Rock (was happy to see this rock, also too much rock..... gonna probably have to sell 30 pounds of it)

OK so there are a few fish in it that I will not be taking, also in there a HUGE long spine urchin and a choco chip star fish (also not taking these), He is giving these to a friend. There are NO corals. There a few feather dusters, not much else but some corraline.

Here is the plan...
1. Reinforce Floor to ensure the tank doesn't fall through my house (built in 1893) and move electrical as necessary.
2. Next weekend 7/21/12 take 55 gallon container to move all LR will take home fill with water and powerhead for now to keep circulated and alive with heater.
3. Drain tank and sump COMPLETELY throw all water away as he used tap water and mixed with salt.... big no no
4. Move everything to my house
5. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN it all!
6. Paint stand and canopy (back is painted blue... oh well
7. Setup electrical for tank and sump/pump lights etc
8. Fill half way with NEW water check for problems leaks blah blah begin placing base rocks
9. Fill tank 3/4 get upper rocks placed put old and new aragonite into tank, Fill all the way run/check sump, pump and powerheads
10. Let it run (if nothing goes wrong by now) and watch the tank also run tests

Things I will be purchasing:

40 pounds of new sand
New salt if his stuff is too old
RO/DI Machine to make water (30 gallons a week is too much to haul back and forth from a store)
(50 gallon) storage container for mixing salt water
Heater.... He never had one Guess the lights keep it warm
New T5's to replace burnt out bulbs

Stay Tuned..... I do not even have plans for what will go in yet.

-Tyler

This is a big project. Will follow with interest.
w00t.gif

Hehe, I'm looking forward to this one. It'll be epic once you're finished with the upgrades.

Lighting doesn't seem great, but for zoas, mushies, and palys, you'll be fine.

L

Ill be upgrading the lights with tax returns most likely next february.... I know its a ways a way, but I will have a nice chunk o cash to get what I want for this tank. It can be a REALLy cool tank if done right...

-Tyler

Ill be upgrading the lights with tax returns most likely next february.... I know its a ways a way, but I will have a nice chunk o cash to get what I want for this tank. It can be a REALLy cool tank if done right...

-Tyler

Besides, until then, stock it with softies and get the tank ready for the future. No need to rush into sps-dominated systems from the getgo. Actually, there are advantages to going softie first in most systems.

L

Yuppp, Softies will be cool for now. I'd like everything to be a bit more upscaled with the size of the tank, ie: less zoas, more paly's, some favia for sure and maybe even a carpet if I can't keep myself from getting one. Saw one at PETCO that actually looked in great shape, it made me want one more, BUT id never buy marine from petco and the tank is not ready. Just some different stuff. There are currently (6)T5 light bulbs that fit into the hood. It is two separate fixtures (blah), but the two actinics are on. I want to have (2) actinics and (4) 12K Whites for now. It also has some blue LED's in it for night time.

We plan on adding an additional 40Pounds of aragonite sand to end up with a 2+ inch bed. I want the pink fiji, but Jeremy doesn't care so maybe I don't either now lol.

Even more pressing I have to figure out how to move this big freakin tank without injuring it. IT all begins Friday!

-Tyler

I must say the Sailfin Tang and the Blue Eye Tang are quite regal looking. Also liking Bartlett's Anthias. Also thinking of taking my clowns into the 90gal with a carpet (1 year wait)Just thoughts =)

-Tyler

OK everyone. The big move starts in TWO DAYS! Holy cow that is so soon. So I wanted to get everyone a bit excited and show some pics the previous owner had to get your mouths watering.

imag0273ge.jpg

imag0272c.jpg
imag0279od.jpg

Whats everyone think?

-Tyler

Looks good mate!
Even better when you put your own mark on it
Good luck

Wow, that's a lot of liverock. I doubt you'll need all of it, even if you use some for the sump.

Good buy! :good:

Wish you luck on the move. Get lots of big friends and offer then copious amounts of beer and pizza.

L

Wow, that's a lot of liverock. I doubt you'll need all of it, even if you use some for the sump.

Wish you luck on the move. Get lots of big friends and offer then copious amounts of beer and pizza.

L

Oh I have homemade beer to cover that bill, and MMM pizza sounds good. I will likely sell some of the rock for some trade. Or help pay for new bulbs. The SUMP already has like three of those rocks in it.. lol HUGE!

Still need to reinforce floor in the mean time. Gonna be pushing 1400 pounds with rock and stand with sump...

-Tyler

L

Oh I have homemade beer to cover that bill, and MMM pizza sounds good. I will likely sell some of the rock for some trade. Or help pay for new bulbs. The SUMP already has like three of those rocks in it.. lol HUGE!

Still need to reinforce floor in the mean time. Gonna be pushing 1400 pounds with rock and stand with sump...

-Tyler

Wow, I want a big tank. :( *Lissette sits in a dark corner, sulking*

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back