turtles and fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jmaster

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hi

i wasnt shaw wer to post this

i was just wonderin if it ok to keep a 1 inch turtle in a tank with fish?

just until its a bit bigger then i would get it a tank of its own

thanx

i assume you mean a red eared slider (or other water turtle)

i kept mine with guppies when he was a baby but one night i came in and half of the guppies were gone. there was even half of one hanging out of my turtle s mouth.

i have a friend that keeps 2 fully grown (10 and 12 inch) sliders with a large pleco. the pleco has some chunks missing from his fin though...

just make sure that if you decide to put the turtle with fish (which i wouldnt recommend) make sure that he has a dock or a floating piece of cork that he can climb up on and make sure you have your uv light right over the basking area.
the thing about that is that if water splases up on your light (which is most likely a clamp lamp) the bulb will explode. (i had one catch on fire once when i accidentally dropped water on it)

sadly when my turtle was little, i didnt know that he neded a reptile uv light and i stunted him and messed up his health for the rest of his life.
the most important thing is the uv light so dont compromise keeping him with fish for that.
hope that helps!

Get a fish thats bigger than the turtle and fast, At my school we have a chinese soft shell turtle and I tossed in a 5 inch goldfish that couldnt be rehomed and has parasites and he wasn't eaten because the turtle cant get ahold of him, turtles are lazy so after 15 mins he slowed down and after 3 hours or so he gave up

Opcn said:
Get a fish thats bigger than the turtle and fast, At my school we have a chinese soft shell turtle and I tossed in a 5 inch goldfish that couldnt be rehomed and has parasites and he wasn't eaten because the turtle cant get ahold of him, turtles are lazy so after 15 mins he slowed down and after 3 hours or so he gave up
a softshell that couldnt catch a goldfish?
must be a comet then...

turtles wait until night when the fish sit on the bottom of the tank and then sneak up on them.

like in my case, just because he hasnt eaten them for a while, doesnt mean he wont. (mine was with the guppies for about 6 months before he decided to snack on his freinds)

jacblades, those links in your sig about feeding animals and saving rainforest, WHAT a joke! :rofl: sorry :look:

bad idea, iv heard horror storys, they will nibble up ur fish and crap up ur water, i recommend that the turtles get they own home ;)

jacblades said:
Opcn said:
a softshell that couldnt catch a goldfish?
must be a comet then...

turtles wait until night when the fish sit on the bottom of the tank and then sneak up on them.

like in my case, just because he hasnt eaten them for a while, doesnt mean he wont. (mine was with the guppies for about 6 months before he decided to snack on his freinds)
some friends :lol:

Hey if he wan'ts to sneak up on it at night he can (although he sleeps at night) and its not that he couldnt catch the fish its that he couldnt hold on, it was like watching a dog try and bite a basket ball. And its not that hes out of practise eiter, he got 6 goldies two weeks ago (all comets a useual) and a platy went in about 27 hours after the big goldfish and was quickly chased down and dispatched. Now I need to name the ******** goldfish.

fufanu360 said:
jacblades, those links in your sig about feeding animals and saving rainforest, WHAT a joke! :rofl: sorry :look:
Ummm, uncalled for?

Those sites have sponsers who pay for every click that is received. When you click the button a advertisement pops up that represents the sponser who donates to the cause.

fufanu360 said:
Why is it a joke? Maybe if everyone were as caring and considerate as Jacblades we wouldn’t have to worry about the rainforests and the suffering of animals. Perhaps time would be better well spent getting the clue she’s offering rather than dismissing it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back