Turquoise Severum, Blood Parrot, Pleco In A 30 Gal Temporarily?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jackiee

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
.. a 4 inch Turqouise Severum, a 5 inch Blood Parrot, a 9 inch pleco.

How long can they temporarily be in a 30 gallon tank?
Will they be okay for a week or two with numerous water changes?

With two to three 50 percent water changes a week ,and oversized filter with healthy bacterial colony,, it could work temporarily but if fishes can be housed in large quarter's,, it would be much much better. Even a large plastic tote or tub would be better than 30 gal tank.

I have 3 filters on the tank as it is, but i dont have any plastic totes or tubs,
and even if i did, wouldnt that not work since there is no bacteria or anything built up in it?
and no way to run filters inside of it?

They would only be in the tank for a couple weeks tops. I would NEVER keep them together like that long term.

They'll be fine for a bit. Just keep an eye on any aggression in smaller spaces.. or, better still, let me have your Severum!

Three 50% changes is OTT though... they're not that bad.

I have 3 filters on the tank as it is, but i dont have any plastic totes or tubs,
and even if i did, wouldnt that not work since there is no bacteria or anything built up in it?
and no way to run filters inside of it?

They would only be in the tank for a couple weeks tops. I would NEVER keep them together like that long term.

Plastic totes /tubs are cheap and filter along with heater can be placed in the tubs.The majority of bacteria is found in the filter.Have used tubs many times when re-doing tanks. HOB filters can be hung on the edge of the tub just as they are on the aquarium and spray bars from canister filters attach to wall of tubs just as they do on glass .

They'll be fine for a bit. Just keep an eye on any aggression in smaller spaces.. or, better still, let me have your Severum!

Three 50% changes is OTT though... they're not that bad.

Nine inch Pleco by itself can cause water quality issues in 30 gal tank ,hence the suggested water changes.
The water changes suggested would be what I would do were it me to ensure that ammonia and nitrites don't become an issue.OP doesn't mention why fish are being moved or kept in 30 gal tank but I would not purchase fish ,or move fish to smaller tank until larger tank was ready.(opinions vary)

I have all 3 of them together right now, no aggression issues.
Severum and parrot actually become quite the buddies.
Pleco seems a bit sluggish though? which is weird.

I'm trying to get a 75 gallon asap to move them again.
Ugh, pray that I find one soon!

Most reactions

Back