Hug a mod Nano Reef Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Common Name(s): Turquoise danio, blue danio, Kerr's danio, danio kerri

Scientific Name: Danio kerri, Brachydanio kerri

Family: Cyprinidae

Origin: Southeast Asia, Malay Peninsula

Maximum Size: Up to 2 inches

Minimum Aquarium Size: 20 gallons (popular websites state 10G's but I feel they need larger)

Care: As seen above, the turquoise blue danio has many names, but, however you decide to call them, they are a great active fish for your aquarium. They have a slight bluish tinge so don't think you'll be adding a bright blue fish to your aquarium. The blue is seen better when the lights are off. Predominantly top dwellers, these fish love to school, so, make sure you get more than a pair (I have a school of six). They will swim at any level of the tank though. They prefer a planted tank and lots of room to swim. The turquoise blue danio is a community fish and very peaceful. They are hardy and should do well in a well-maintained tank.

Feeding: This danio will eat almost anything. They eat flake, enriched brine shrimp, tubifex and bloodworms. They can be feisty and have no fear about darting around larger fish to get food.

Breeding: My danios have not bred but they can breed in the home aquarium. They are egg scatterers and will be able to scatter them over your substrate. Eggs will hatch in 1-2 days and need to be fed live food which could include live baby brine shrimp. Reportedly sunlight can induce spawning.

danios.JPG

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back