Turn up temperature?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Beckyx

Reaction score
My heater in my betta tank is set to 25C. Throughout the summer it has been a constant 24. Because the nighttime temperature outside has been down as low as 3C my tank seems to be dropping to 22C at night when I wake up in the morning. When I get home it's always up again to it's constant 24C.

Is this OK? Or do I need to turn the temperature on my heater up?

Becky

Two things here. First, the temperature setting on most heats is not always accurate with respect to the actual number. For example, my heater in the 33g tank is set to 21 C and maintains the tank at 24 C. This can work in reverse, so using a reliable thermometer you may need to adjust the setting.

Second, the temperature of the air in the room will affect the tank water temperature. This depends upon the heater setting (meaning the temperature the heater is actually keeping the water at). Most heaters need a room temperature that is not too far off the intended water temperature. Ten degrees F (roughly 5-6 C) or so is a good guide. I keep my tanks around 24-25C, and they are in a dedicated fish room. In winter I heat this room to 20 C day and night so the difference between air and tank water is not that great. If your room is getting down to say close to 3 C the heater may not be able to handle this difference.

The heater should be able to hold the temperature at 24/25C. If it is unable to, then the heater might be too small for the tank.

You could try turning it up 1 or 2 degrees and see if it fixes the problem, but if it doesn't then the heater is either dodgy or too small.

Another option is to insulate the back, sides & top of the tank. Use 10mm thick polystyrene foam and sticky tape it to the back and sides of the tank. Make sure the tank has a coverglass on it. The coverglass should be 4mm thick. And make sure you have a 10mm thick sheet of polystyrene foam under the base of the tank.

The room temp is not 3C it probably gets down to maybe 12c...

I will try turning up to 27C

I think it is 25 or 50w but the tank is only 15l...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back