Trouble with cycling

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Could I just ask a question here please or do I have to make another thread? I have just seen a tiny baby snail in my tank. Ithe must have come on some plants even though I was careful about washing them. It looks like a baby pond snail by he look of the pics on Google. I can't find it now. I thought the minnows were nibbling my plants but now it know its must be though this. Is this the start of a problem does anyone know? If it's not one thing its another :( on a good note my nitrites are still very very close to zero and I fed twice yesterday (small amounts) to see if it would rise but it's not lol

Here is what it's doing to my plants

Attachments

• 20180608_100838.jpg
    20180608_100838.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 236
Here is a pic. It's not great cos it's tiny

Attachments

• 20180608_104949.jpg
    20180608_104949.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 212
  • 20180608_104938.jpg
    20180608_104938.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 240
  • 20180608_104841.jpg
    20180608_104841.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 186
Take them out when you see them. Either crush or boil them because you don't want them getting out in the wild. Sanil populations tend to be self regulating. More food = more snails, not enough food and the population goes down. IKeep the substrate clean and just take out all you can see when you do your water changes.

I don't know if I can do that lol I'm a bit soft that way haha. Do you have an idea what it is? I've never had a snail in my tanks before I always clean the plants before putting them in. I must have missed it. Will it reproduce even though there's just the one tiny snail?

Need a side view to id the snail. its either a pond snail or a Ramshorn. Pond snails have spiral shell ending in a point, ramshorns are a round spiral.

In my opinion, KILL IT, KILL IT, KILL IT. But I am nuts and hate snails so I say that about most of them, especially those dirty little Malaysian livebearing suckers. Death to the snails.

It had a pointy she'll. Been looking up and i am almost certain it was a bladder snail. It's not no more :( I didn't want to be over run with them so I had to kill it :( I don't want to do that again that's for sure. I will be making sure in future that there's not a thing on the plants. Can't believe i missed it. I'm hoping there's no more now haha

Hi everyone. Just an update.......
I have seen no more snails thank goodness!! Lol

My water levels are ammonia 0 nitrites between 0.25 a and 0.5 nitrates between 30 and 40 :( all rest are still exactly the same. I just can't get my nitrites to 0!! It's driving me insane. Am I doing anything wrong? I'm adding nite out 2 everyday couple of days and even if I do every day it makes no different. Can I scream lol

If the tank is developing nitrates, then there is some bacteria eating the nitrite and converting it into nitrate. It should only be a matter of days now before the nitrite hits 0 and stays there. :)

Thank you I really hope so now! The last few weeks seems to have taken forever lol

I spoke too soon. Just seen another snail. This one is bigger than the last one. Not sure where it's been hiding. Looks like I'm going to have snail trouble now after all :(

Last edited:
Sorry the pics are hard to take

Attachments

• 20180612_122136.jpg
    20180612_122136.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 20180612_122058.jpg
    20180612_122058.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 170
  • 20180612_122053.jpg
    20180612_122053.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 228
Hi everyone. Just to let you all know my tank has finally cycled!! I'm so happy.
Water tested as follows for the past 2 days ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 25 (after a 50% water change) gh8 kh7 ph 7 cl 0. Temp is running at 22.75 degrees celsius. I know my nitrates are are bit high but I will soon get them down and the plants should now help.

I have been so lucky to have no fish losses! I do have a snail problem but I'm hoping to put an assasin snail in once my lfs has some next week! I'm am also going too add 2 more cloud minnows at the weekend if everything is still stable.

If it wasn't for the snails I would be extremely happy lol I also think a minnow is very heavy with eggs so things must be good!

Thank you everyone for the very much needed help and advice! ! I really do appreciate it!!

When you buy new fish, make sure none of the fish in the shop tank have clamped fins, or cream/ grey patches on their body or fins. The fish should be swimming around nice and normally and have their fins open.
Also check them for white dots on their body or fins, and any red patches/ marks anywhere on their body.

If any fish in the tank doesn't look 100%, don't get anything from that tank.

The last thing you need now is a disease in the tank :)

And give any new plants a rinse under the tap and check them for snails and small sacs of jelly (snail eggs)

I know that would be a nightmare! I'm a bit worried about transferring my blackmoor over. He had ich when I first got him. The lfs said it was because of the stress of the move so I don't want him to have it again so I'm going to wait a month i think and add the new blackmoor first and see. Fingers crossed lol

Most reactions

trending

Back