Tropical Fresh Water Cabs?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Gazpug

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was in my LSF the other week and i was wonering if they where good in a planted community tank. It is the ones with red claws. I am just concerned that they would go around snipping the plants ans harrasing the fish.

Anyone in the know in this subject?

Regards

Gary.

Never kept a FW cab before but I am curious to see the result :)

What were you planning to keep with them?

As you have already thought crabs in aquariums are not a good idea, they will indeed catch and eat any fish they can and will snip plants but they also require a dry area out of the water which is problematic in normal fish tanks.

And there are no true freshwater crabs in the hobby. What you saw was likely a red-claw crab, which need low-strength brackish water.

I have a freshwater red crab in my 30G tank. I have seen no problems, they just need a place to hide in the dark. I put a coliseum type thing in and now i never see the crab except when its really dark in the room.

I have 2 Black Angels, 7 Giant Danios, 2 upside down cats, 4 cories. I believe i still have some snails left but i havent seen them either. They are probably hiding in the sand keeping it clean.

I keep my PH below 7 for the angels and rather warm for the angels and the crab seems fine.

I have a freshwater red crab in my 30G tank. I have seen no problems, they just need a place to hide in the dark. I put a coliseum type thing in and now i never see the crab except when its really dark in the room.

I have 2 Black Angels, 7 Giant Danios, 2 upside down cats, 4 cories. I believe i still have some snails left but i havent seen them either. They are probably hiding in the sand keeping it clean.

I keep my PH below 7 for the angels and rather warm for the angels and the crab seems fine.

:dunno:

You might want to say how long you've had said crab. They don't tend to live for more than a few months (six tops) in pure freshwater from what I've read.

and without a dry area out of the water they cannot finish moulting properly and usually die soon after their first shed.

There are freshwater Crabs in the hobby, Geosesarma sp Vampire is one, I'll be keeping them later this year.

And also some other Geosesarma species in the hobby are true freshwater, though are much more common in Germany than the UK at the moment. Ive also kept Rainbow Crabs (Cardisoma armatum) with a freshwater area in their tank for years, no salt added, and they are doing fine. They shed really well every 6 months or so. Im aware that they need brackish to full strength seawater in order to raise the young though, while the common Red Crabs and Fiddler Crabs sold in shops all need brackish water at all times.

There are freshwater Crabs in the hobby, Geosesarma sp Vampire is one, I'll be keeping them later this year.

And also some other Geosesarma species in the hobby are true freshwater, though are much more common in Germany than the UK at the moment. Ive also kept Rainbow Crabs (Cardisoma armatum) with a freshwater area in their tank for years, no salt added, and they are doing fine. They shed really well every 6 months or so. Im aware that they need brackish to full strength seawater in order to raise the young though, while the common Red Crabs and Fiddler Crabs sold in shops all need brackish water at all times.

it is true there are fresh water crabs, but all are large, destructive and antisocial.
however the commonly sold, Fiddler and RedClaw crabs, are both brackish. and as with any other "river Crab" need dry land. if possible damp sand to burrow in too.
so the answer to the OP's question is NO! apart from anything else, the RedClaw is, when mature, basically Veggie feeder. who will rip your plants and feed on the rotting results. lol though they do prefer peas or cucumber.

it is true there are fresh water crabs, but all are large, destructive and antisocial.
however the commonly sold, Fiddler and RedClaw crabs, are both brackish. and as with any other "river Crab" need dry land. if possible damp sand to burrow in too.
so the answer to the OP's question is NO! apart from anything else, the RedClaw is, when mature, basically Veggie feeder. who will rip your plants and feed on the rotting results. lol though they do prefer peas or cucumber.

Geosesarma sp VAMPIR, Geosesarma sp MANDARIN, Geosesarma spec. Yellow Eye, and Geosesarma krathing are all relatively small, social species that are freshwater. They dont need brackish water, and will breed in a freshwater tank, with a land area, the young are easily reared in captivity, in a freshwater tank. None are common in the UK at the moment though, I have read of Maidenhead Aquatics selling sp VAMPIR as "Purple Crabs" before though.

Geosesarma sp VAMPIR, Geosesarma sp MANDARIN, Geosesarma spec. Yellow Eye, and Geosesarma krathing are all relatively small, social species that are freshwater. They dont need brackish water, and will breed in a freshwater tank, with a land area, the young are easily reared in captivity, in a freshwater tank. None are common in the UK at the moment though, I have read of Maidenhead Aquatics selling sp VAMPIR as "Purple Crabs" before though.

intresting crabs, but there is no information on them except on a few German sights. even the latin name is unrecognised everywhere exept these few sites. so any information, must be taken with care. never come across a critter known only in one country, with an unrecognised latin name.

Ahh yes, I forgot you lucky Europeans get all the cool freshwater inverts - none of these are available in the U.S. at all. Aegla just made it over here, and costs $100-$150 each, even though it's easy to breed in captivity. We also can't get any of the cool nerites. :/

never come across a critter known only in one country, with an unrecognised latin name.
Really? You should go on more German sites then :).

Germans get loads of freshwater snails, shrimp, crabs that are virtually unknown here. Seems to be a much larger market for these guys there.

intresting crabs, but there is no information on them except on a few German sights. even the latin name is unrecognised everywhere exept these few sites. so any information, must be taken with care. never come across a critter known only in one country, with an unrecognised latin name.

Ive read of a few people who'se bred the sp VAMPIR, and have been told about the others that are also freshwater, theres a lengthy thread about the sp VAMPIR on a German Crab forum, that has unfortunatly been down for a while [URL="http://www.suesswasserkrebse.de/wbb2/threa...p?threadid=2220"]http://www.suesswasserkrebse.de/wbb2/threa...p?threadid=2220[/URL]

The sp VAMPIR are from Sulawesi, and like the others Ive mentioned are definitly truely freshwater. Theres also a small, freshwater species from Malta in Europe, that is kept in captivity, but is so uncommon at the moment I choose not to mention it initially.

eschaton, thats amazing that Aegla are so expensive there, Im able to sell them in the UK for around £17 each, which I thought was overly expensive, when Ive managed to breed my ones the price will come down a lot.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back