Tropical Fish Gh/ph List

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

strobe1980

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi. I was wondering if there is a comprehensive list of the Gh/Ph for all tropical fish species as i can't find anything regarding this on this forum,or I just can't find it, Any links to such threads would be really helpful as I'm soon testing my tap water for the appropriate fish once my test kit arrives.
Thanks.

Hi. I was wondering if there is a comprehensive list of the Gh/Ph for all tropical fish species as i can't find anything regarding this on this forum,or I just can't find it, Any links to such threads would be really helpful as I'm soon testing my tap water for the appropriate fish once my test kit arrives.
Thanks.

Not really allowed to link outside websites like this one. What PH do you have? Mostly all fish will adjust to the PH of the water anyway so at best it's fine.

No problem bit I meant threads within this forum.I haven't done my tests yet,was just researching about fish and if they prefer soft or hard waters.and if there was a lost available for each fish.

Simply put, most fish in the trade prefer a softer, acidic water condition, these are generally tetras, barbs, corydoras, etc.

But, there are some fish that require hard water to be healthy: like mollies. Others that appreciate it are the rest of the livebearers (platies, swordtails, guppies, etc.) Some African cichlids require very hard water.

You probably already have a sense for the hardness of your water, from living in your home. Does limescale build up in the shower/tub? Does soap lather easily, or is it difficult?

I'm not saying you can't have them, I'm just saying that in nature, they don't prefer it. Many of the fish in the trade have been acclimated to your local water, so they may work out for you. Generally though, they are more susceptible to disease than in a more natural environment. Once you test the water, you'll have a better idea. You can also use a water softener, either in your whole home or just for the tank. That's a little more advanced, but its certainly an option.

You could ask your local fish club how the water affects tetras. If anyone knows, they would know. Some of the fish in the trade are now born and raised in captivity, and they might actually be acclimated to your water in your area.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back