Trolls

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tolak

Gun Toting Lunatic
Reaction score
If a post or topic seems to be a bit out of line, please hit the report button and click away from the topic. In the past members have decided to take it upon themselves to determine if a topic, post or member is trolling. This will often include posting correspondence on the questionable topic or post, which can draw a normally well behaved and valued forum member into a situation that edges on breaking forum rules. The Moderating Team doesn’t like to see this happen.

Another situation that occurs is a less than knowledgeable, and often newer aquarist will join, and post something questionable, which is usually information handed down from someone they know, or a shop that is more concerned about profit than the welfare of animals. These sort of situations will often appear questionable, when it is actually poor information or a lack of information given to the fishkeeper.

The Moderating Team has seen numerous instances of both of these, over many years spent moderating the forum, and is well versed in making a determination on questionable topics or posts. This being the case, please just click the report button on anything questionable, and let the Moderating Team put their experience to work sorting out the issue.

And then also,.....if I may add to the list (while we're busy)..... double posting of the same topic in 2 different sections..... Expect one of the 2 to be removed.... we have sooooo many areas to cater for your specific need, choose the right section to post your topic in.... if we find a double post..... be aware that one of them will be removed....

This has been a long standing policy here at TFF, so I posted this to make members aware of the situation.

And then also,.....if I may add to the list (while we're busy)..... double posting of the same topic in 2 different sections..... Expect one of the 2 to be removed.... we have sooooo many areas to cater for your specific need, choose the right section to post your topic in.... if we find a double post..... be aware that one of them will be removed....

If the moderators and admin are so busy wouldn't the answer be to have more moderators to help out? I have noticed a few mods say that they can not look at every topic, which is totally understandable, so why not increase the numbers of mods to deal with issues? A recent influx of retiree's from the mod team has been replaced by one, Caz. So either she has alot on her plate to now deal with or things are being missed?

If the moderators and admin are so busy wouldn't the answer be to have more moderators to help out? I have noticed a few mods say that they can not look at every topic, which is totally understandable, so why not increase the numbers of mods to deal with issues? A recent influx of retiree's from the mod team has been replaced by one, Caz. So either she has alot on her plate to now deal with or things are being missed?

Is that a hint Minnnt. :lol: :lol:

But do totally agree with you! :good:

Lol, not necessarily me, i don't believe i know enough tbf, but other members such as KittyKat, Fluttermoth, StandBySetting and Fishguy do.

Although in my defence i do spend a hell of a lot of time on here. lol. :D

The recent retirees have been inactive for quite some time. We have had more than one mod appointed in the time period many have been inactive.

Looking over spam posts from the last 10 days the average time visible is just under 20 minutes. Longest was 34 minutes, shortest was 2 minutes. Few forums meet or beat that.

New moderators is an ongoing topic, as it has been for many years. The mod team in place now has no problem working the forum as it stands, consistency in procedures works much better than throwing more people in the mix with no attention paid to the structure or organization behind it. This topic is designed to help the members much more than the mods, or I would not be requesting that members let the mods do the job they are here to do.

Lol, not necessarily me, i don't believe i know enough tbf, but other members such as KittyKat, Fluttermoth, StandBySetting and Fishguy do.

Although in my defence i do spend a hell of a lot of time on here. lol. :D

To be fair to you Minnnt, and to the mods team, the skill of modding doesn't necessarily require massively advanced fishkeeping lore. What it does require is a diplomatic tone and a large dose of common sense. You need to know the subject but you don't always have to be a guru.

Sadly common sense isn't all that common, nor are those other skills.

We seem to be blessed here with mods who have these qualities and know their subject well.

It's not just spam posts that blight this forum though. Infact i have hardly seen any tbh, i thought it was quite good for that actually. I don't understand what harm a few extra mods would do? Surely it would make for a better run forum and ease the load on the current mods? You yourself have admitted that you were moderating whilst doing other things (sorting out 10 million Angels or what ever it was, lol.)

You are relying on members to report posts inappropriate but then saying you have enough mods to look after the site...

Agree i have been debating leaving this forum of late just due to the amount hostilely on allot post, don't get me wrong the forum wont miss in that respect but talking to others its seems im not alone on this one. Keeping old members is a good thing but for a forum to be successful we need welcome fresh blood and experience. At risk of saying it i feel there a few double standards for some members and not others..

my 2p worth

I'm asking members to not interact in any topics or posts that may be considered trolling or otherwise a violation of forum rules. This is to the benefit of the members, not the moderators. If there were a deficit in moderators something would be done about it.

I have yet to see any decent forum software that does not include some sort of report system. You will never have every moderator on every topic or post unless you had one mod per member. Software designers realize this, thus include a report system. This is similar to your local police department, an issue is brought to their attention, they deal with it.

I don't understand what harm a few extra mods would do?

1) It isn't just as easy as simply 'promoting' people. They have to be a good fit with the group that already exists

2) and ever hear the expression 'too many cooks spoil the soup'? I think it is applicable here.

Let's make everyone mods, and then have a supreme moderator that oversee's the moderator battles.... Only the fast clicking will survive...

I don't understand what harm a few extra mods would do?

1) It isn't just as easy as simply 'promoting' people. They have to be a good fit with the group that already exists

2) and ever hear the expression 'too many cooks spoil the soup'? I think it is applicable here.

I dont think number 2 is really applicable here really, seeing a mod post is a little bit of a rare occurance, they soon rear their heads when people question the running of the forum though. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back