Triops! At It Again....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

razer121

THE Triop Man XD
Reaction score
so, this is my best specimen that i helped grow...

cruz4.jpg

HPIM05881.jpg

his name was cruz, he was my first one and he live for a good 3 months from what i can remember? well either way he grew to about 1inch and a half and is now encaved in a glas dome thing :) well whats left of him!! either way long story short...i did try again, but my triop died for some unknown reason and i then moved onto fish! but now ive been inspired to find the eggs and start again!! i have a 25 litre tank set up (which i did tonight) and ive pulled together a clever plan on how to keep the "breeder tank" at a decent temp, ive got the breeder tank set inside of the main 25 litre tank which has a heater! so i can keep them at a decent steady temp, i will take some pictures and upload them tomoz hopfully :)

Hatch date 27th november 09,

so as promised the new "setup"

a very murky empty tank...
DSCF0535.jpg

i cleaned it all out and got this lil beaut,
DSCF0538.jpg

and added to the tank
DSCF0541.jpg

lights on and sorted :good:
DSCF0542.jpg

now it got its temp up overnight so i added half the triops eggs and stuff into the tub, which of course was filled with still water, lets hope by tomoz morning i have little "triops" swimming about!

Hoping that there was eggs in there as ive done it this way before and didnt get a hatch, but this way i can try again if say a triops does hatch and dies, because i only used half the tub i have the half which should hopfully have a few eggs in :) bonus huh?

I'm really intrested to see what happens :good: ,I have always thought they live for about a week and then die

thanks guys, yes this props is the best home ive ever came across for some triops!!! of course that is excluding other members who have provided tanks for theres!

So this morning i looked at the tank real close and i can see something moving!! ive got a feeling its a fairy shrimp though :( oh well that would be good food for the triops when they are older! lets hope we get some triops later :)

upon a further look i have spotted 3 mini triops!!! and about 2 in the larva stage!! and yes 1 fairy shrimp lol, well im pretty happy to say that a temp of 26 is perfect for raising triops in! hopefully by Monday they will be big enough to get some pics of them!!

thanks! ive now counted 4 triops and 2 fairy shrimp! :hyper:

ive tryed my hardest to catch a picture of them as they keep doing "loops" at the moment, so heres the best pictures i could catch...

DSCF0559.jpg

DSCF0554.jpg

im going to start feeding later today!!

only thing i did notice.....the main 25litre tank that is housing them has these worm like shrimp things dotted about on the glass! i cannot seem to find a picture of them but they are shaped like a "Y" any ideas on this guys?? :crazy:

Well, Hydra aren't quite harmless to baby triops and fairy shrimp, but at least they are in the main tank.

At lest if that's what they are.

Does the main tank have anything in it that came from a previous set-up without being completely dried?

well, my betta died in the tank from dropsy, i empty'd the tank and cleaned it all out, there like these real tiny little white things, the camera cannot pick them up they are that small! but to be honest i think the triop will snack on them lol, well i hope he does!

to update he has grown so much! i can get better pictures on the cam now, will upload them later! ive got a good reason to belive he has snacked on the other 2 triops and the 2 fairy shrimp as they are no where to be seen lol, ive started on feeding him 1 green and 1 brown pellet, he will get anouther 2 today, im really excited about this guy as he is growing so well!

Time for an update! looked again today and the triops is starting to get a dark area on his body, good sign :) ive not seen any sheded skins yet mind...anyway i also found 2 fairy shrimp! i thought they had been eaten! anyway heres some pictures,

the fairy shrimp aka sea monkey lol
DSCF0644.jpg

fairy shrimp and triops
DSCF0643.jpg

triops
DSCF0641.jpg

im very happy with the results so far, it seems in 2 days he has grown really quick! so can only assume that the constant light and constant temp of 26c is perfect for fast growing triops, the fairy shrimp also has grown pretty large! he is bigger then the triops!!

well, when i looked yesterday he was only about 5mm to 6, and today....

DSCF0700.jpg

DSCF0698.jpg

DSCF0697.jpg

DSCF0695.jpg

i mean wow!! ive never had a triops grow so big so quick!! im so amazed at how fast this little guy is growing lol, 1 fairy shrimp still remains aswell!! he has a tint of green to him, odd? ive seen this before but my other triop died before he matured so im hoping this guy grows fairly large,

i have to be honest im worried about moving him over into the larger area of water....just in case he cannot find food! so ive decided to wait till he is abit bigger

That's a beaver tail fairy shrimp you've got there too, Thamnocephalus platyurus :good:.

Fairy large guys, potentially get to about 5cm and live for 3-4 months. Well, that's if the triops is well fed enough :shifty:. It will need fed special food as it get bigger, stuff sold for brineshimp is ideal.

who knows :) ive had a fairy shrimp before who got to around 2cm in size, i was well amazed, im strting to transfer the water over now as i tested for ammonia out of curiosity and omg it was 2 ppm!!! ubelivable lol but anyway the triop has doubled again!! ive not had one grow so quick...the onyl thing im worried about is if he cannot survive in the larger tank....who knows though!

Most reactions

Back