Treatment Medication Recommendation

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Chris1075

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for some advice for treatment or medication to use to treat fin rot. I have been to my LFS, which advised me to do 25% - 50% water changes every other day and aquarium salt and use Seachem's Garlic Guard.
It looked like it had cleared up, and the tetra was getting better. A couple of days ago, it came back with a vengeance.

Tank size: 20 US GAL
pH: 6.8
ammonia: 0 ppm
nitrite: 0 ppm
nitrate: 5.0 ppm
kH: not known
gH: not known
tank temp: 27 C

Fish Symptoms: fins frayed. large grayish white circles on one side of the tetra, but otherwise active, doesn't eat as much as it used to. and is smaller than the other tetras purchased at the same time.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: Weekly water changes at 25% with the fourth one being 50%

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: Fluval Water Treatment, Fluval Biological Enhancer, Fluval Biological Cleaner. API Aquarium Salt No special substrate. Using a Fluval C3 Power filter with a carbon filter, and c nodes.

Tank inhabitants: 3 Bleeding Heart Tetra's, 3 Long Fin Golden Tetra's, 3 Turquoise Guppies may have fin rot but thinking it is more nipping, 1 Gold Mystery Snail and 1 Red Clawed Crab

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): Removed 2 Java Fern from tank along with moneywort

Exposure to chemicals: don't believe so

No photo as of yet
I was going to try some of Seachems products like Sulfaplex or Kanaplex. But reading some forums I have read, that Melafix and Pimafix are pretty good or either bad.

I just wanted to get some advice and information so that I can make an educated purchase and not waste my time or money....

Thanks all

I had a few badly frayed and fin rotting tails after a bully tiger barb attacked several tank mates. I treated the stressed and injured tiger barbs in a quarantine tank with Melafix for 2 weeks. I also added Indian almond leaves as I've heard they have beneficial properties. The tails started healing nicely and, while not fully grown back, I've returned the fish to the main tank...and the bully was taken back to the local fish shop.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back