Treating For Finrot. Do I Need To Water Change Between Doses?

marieukxx

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm using Myxazin and started today, I did a 50% change first but do I need to change daily before each dose? It doesn't say on the bottle. Thanks

If you can change some of the water daily (~25-50%) it should help, just allow for the Myxazin lost in the removed water.

Lets say you should be adding 3ml Myxazin per day to the tank...
  • Day 1 add 3ml
  • Day 2 50% water change, so 1.5ml Myxazin needs to be added back, then add further 3ml
  • Day 3 50% water change, so 3ml Myxazin needs adding back, then add further 3ml
  • etc. etc.

If you can change some of the water daily (~25-50%) it should help, just allow for the Myxazin lost in the removed water.

Lets say you should be adding 3ml Myxazin per day to the tank...
  • Day 1 add 3ml
  • Day 2 50% water change, so 1.5ml Myxazin needs to be added back, then add further 3ml
  • Day 3 50% water change, so 3ml Myxazin needs adding back, then add further 3ml
  • etc. etc.

I think following the above will lead to overdosing. Medications like this are typically only truly active for about a day anyway. Light, temperature, and most organic matter will lead to the medication to lose activity. Adding 6 mL on that 3rd day is double the normal dose, and may lead to issues with the fish.

If the medication needs to be redosed every day, then just do the water change, and then dose per the volume of your tank.

And water changes too help -- it helps remove organics from the tank that the medication would oxidize and not be available to oxidize the infectious agents.

In the medication is long acting, something like adding copper to the tank (copper is active for around 30 days), then after a water change you redose to restore the original concentration.

-------------------

All that said, a lot of times, an aggressive treatment of large water changes may be all that is needed to help cure the finrot, anyway.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back