Transfering Goldfish From Tank To Outside Pond

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Villy Valley

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a goldfish which is about 3 inches long and he is sharing a tank with fancy goldfish eg black moor etc. The goldfish is bullying them and so I want to put him in a friends pond along with their own goldfish. In the UK the pond temperature at the moment is extremely cold compared with the indoor tank. How quickly can I get him out of the tank and into the pond and how should I do it. I guess if I just put him in now he will die from the shock of the cold water.

Villy Valley

I'm no pond expert but i dont think its a good idea until late spring when the water is warming up.

i did similar last winter as it was a nessecity.

i caught the gold fish and places him in a large bucket with tank water and floated that in the pond for an hour to acclimiatise.

as said though wait till the warmer weather i just did it as it was a def must

wait has long has you can,then put the fish in a bag with water in and float it on the pond for about half an hour then release it.

not a good idea to move fish outside. If you go to garden centres they are not selling pond fish for that reason. Can you not get a big bucket and put him in that..no got a better idea...ring round you LFS and see if they will take him. If you put him outside now he will surely die of shock/cold!

I would not do it now, its sooo cold here, he will do better in a large tub till spring, even if you acclimatise for an hour, it is still a HUGE drop in tempurature and she will most likely get sick, or worse die. it will be too much for his system to cope with. sorry :(

i have a large pond the coldest it got was 3.7 degrees brrrr the temp in my tank was 20 degress, so your goldie could well die from the shock of temp

I put an aggresive one into a pond a couple of years ago in spring. Ww just did the same as we do when putting a new fish into my tank.

Float for 15 mins
Add a cup of water from outside and leave for 15 mins
Let bag merge in water for 15 mins
Release fish

If you are talking to me yes he is and grown loads he was only a few inches when he was put in. He recently got some friends. Why do you ask?

Because i am thinking of doing that myself.

Attachments

• DSC00194.JPG
    DSC00194.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 78
There is no reason why it can't be done. Just remember that any fancy goldfish have to be brought inside in winter. So adding anything like that is a waste of time.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back