Toxic for Cherry Shrimp?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

NathanWilliams415

Reaction score
I have seen searching for a vine like plant that could grow either in my filter or in my substrate for my shrimp only tank. I really like the idea of having a plant grow out from my open top aquarium. I have a lot of Philodendron (not sure which kind) growing by my window so I decided to clip some off and place it in the tank filter like in the picture. However, after reading online I've seen that some consider the plant to be toxic. Not sure if it means toxic if ingested or toxic to even be in the water to fish or shrimp.

So, my question is if this plant is safe to be in the tank filter or will it release toxins harmful to invertebrates? If it's okay for it to be in the filter would it also be safe in the tank where the shrimp could graze around its roots and stems?

PS. If anyone has any recommends for cool looking plants for this tank I am all ears.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181108-121322_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181108-121322_Gallery.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 190
From what I have seen online, the only warning about growing philodendron in this way in an aquarium is to be careful to keep the roots away from the impeller.

The chemical in philodendron that puts it on toxic plant lists is oxalic acid, also found in rhubarb leaves, and as far as I know, completely harmless unless eaten.

Something to keep in mind, however, is that some tropical plants are treated with pesticides before being sold, and there is probably little concern with food safety or the effects of direct contact with Aquatic life, which is more sensitive in general, to pesticides, with crustaceans being specifically even more sensitive than fish.
EDIT:
Back to recommendations for other plants, your current setup looks like a low light tank from the plant's point of view, so low light plants like anubias, Java moss, and Java fern would likely do well.

Many sword plants tolerate low light well, too, but most species will very quickly outgrow the average size shrimp tank.

Last edited:
Well that's good news if the plant is safe! I think it adds a pretty cool look.

I'll look more into maybe a small anubias or something. It's only a 5 gallon. It's hard to find right plant since I have no local stores that sell aquatic plants and I can only look at them through pictures on the internet.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back