Top water tank mates for CPD?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

HazMatt

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've never kept "nano" fish before but, I'm thinking of keeping Celestial Pearl Danio in a 29 gallon tank. Since CPD usually stay in the lower half of the tank, I'd like some ideas for tank mates that will normally stay in the upper half of the tank.

The tank measures 30"L x 12"W x 18"T.
My water parameters are 7.4 pH, 9 GH and 8 Kh.

I'm thinking of keeping shrimp for scavenger/algae control but, I am not really hard set on keeping shrimp. I'll choose something else if needed.

It seems like every tank mate I lfind requires softer or more acidic water. I'd prefer fish that stay smaller than 1.5" but, I'll go bigger if needed.

Thanks for your suggestions. The more I look, the worse my headache gets.

Seriously Fish has this to say in answer to your question:

Likely to be intimidated or outcompeted for food by larger or more boisterous tankmates, although the presence of similarly-sized, surface-dwelling species seems to help reduce its shyness.

Other small cyprinids from Myanmar such as Celestichthys choprae or members of the genus Microdevario are suitable companions, and we suspect it might also do well alongside Dario hysginon or D. sp. ‘Myanmar’.

The closely-related C. erythromicron is not recommended as it’s probably capable of hybridising with C. margaritatus (see ‘Notes’).

Though gregarious by nature it’s a shoaling rather than schooling species with rival males sparring on a regular basis during daylight hours.

It’s not uncommon to see nipped fins within a group though this behaviour does not normally extend to tankmates.

Buy as many as possible, ideally 20 or more, as when larger numbers are present the aggression is spread between individuals plus the fish are bolder, more often-seen, and exhibit better colouration.​

Thanks again Byron. I had a feeling you would bring some useful information to the table. Time to look up the species list in that article.

Even though it makes my head swim, I continue to search. I did find a fish that should do well with my parameters, laubuka dadiburjori aka Dadio or orange hatchet.

Edit
Also found that Endler's Livebearers should be a good fit.

Last edited:
If I may make a suggestion, how about Daisy's ricefish, Oryzias woworae http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/oryzias-woworae/. I have some of these. The males are pale blue and the females yellowish, both with red markings and bright blue eye rings. Mine also spawn regularly - it is common to see eggs hanging from the females - though any fry would be eaten almost as soon as they hatch.

If I may make a suggestion, how about Daisy's ricefish, Oryzias woworae http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/oryzias-woworae/. I have some of these. The males are pale blue and the females yellowish, both with red markings and bright blue eye rings. Mine also spawn regularly - it is common to see eggs hanging from the females - though any fry would be eaten almost as soon as they hatch.

Nice. Thanks.

I found some pencil fish that seem like they would be fine with my water. Does anyone have experience with these? Do they stay in the top half of the tank?
Nannostomus marginatus- Dwarf pencil fish
Nannostomus rubrocaudatus- Purple Pencil Fish
Nannostomus mortenthaleri- Coral Red Pencilfish

I found some pencil fish that seem like they would be fine with my water. Does anyone have experience with these? Do they stay in the top half of the tank?
Nannostomus marginatus- Dwarf pencil fish
Nannostomus rubrocaudatus- Purple Pencil Fish
Nannostomus mortenthaleri- Coral Red Pencilfish

I have kept all three, and some eight or so other species of pencilfish [all are presently classified in the genus Nannostomus]. It is one of the first fish (along with true hatchetfish) I usually suggest for the upper level. But these are soft water fish (with one exception I'll come to) and as they will (with that one exception) be wild caught, one has to provide fairly similar parameters. If you check the profiles on SF you will see all need slightly acidic water (pH below 7) and soft to very soft. Aside from that, in my experience, these three species tend to remain mid level.

There are two species that are surface or at least upper level. Nannostomus beckfordi remains in the upper third among floating plants, and this is the species that I believe is being commercially raised. However, it is rather feisty; I have had a group of these for years, numbering up to 20 in the group at various times, and they cannot be kept with any other surface fish; hatchets and even otos will get nipped continually, as they are in the pencil's territory. Lower fish sometimes do as well, depending upon the individual pencilfish. This is a species for a tank of fairly robust fish; mine are presently in my 90 gallon river habitat with loaches, active tetras; I had barbs in this tank once, and the pencils were still "top dog."

The other surface pencil is N. eques, which swims at an oblique angle. It remains at the surface primarily, among floating plants, and is very peaceful. I've kept this species for decades, and they have spawned. They will get along with hatchets, and the three pencilfish you mention, very well. But it needs soft acidic water.

Byron.

Well crap, so much for the pencils. The orange hatchet is front runner at the moment.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back