Top Ten Betta's ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

9murphy9

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hi
i'm thinking of breeding high quality train of betta's,i have a detailed plan for the babies and have a community 40g for the females to live in and a 5 gallon for the male to live in.I also have a 10 gallon tank for breeding with around 300 1 gallon cups with a drip system connected to them for water changes,each cup has a small plant in it ,so i have almost everything covered but i wanted to ask if anybody has any tips ? and also my main question is what would your top 10 betta's be and then i will breed the overall favorite so i know witch breed is most likely to sell my aim is to get a male for around £ 30 -£ 50 (this will hopefully assure the quality) and i would then like to sell the babies for 10 pound each to ensure they go fast,so tips and top tens please thanks

Alex

Well I just love White Bettas, also Black they are both hard to come buy so if you could breed either you should make a fair bit of money.

Very Nice, but I was thinking pure White or pure Black
good.gif

I've always liked multi-colored bettas. I saw one the other day that was a blue crowntail with black on the tips. He was gorgeous! He was also one of the few that looked healthy. That store is notorious for selling sick/injured bettas.

yeah I've seen quite a few sick betta's that's why i'm hopefully going to order of finz and tails and no i don't have a thread on it all it really is is a very large set of shelves in my room,the top shelf has a 5 gallon (24" x 8" x 8") witch will hold the male under neath that is a 10g breeding tank with a sponge filter and a polystyrene cup with a plat hanging in the corner,next to that is a large bucket ,with filter floss as the top level then bio balls then the bottom has loads of tubes in it these go down onto the next shelf witch is full of 1 gallon cups.Each cup has two tubes in it, one tubes takes water out and one that puts it in.i will feed then 3 times a day one in the morning, one in the afternoon and one in the night, i wish my camera would work so i could take a picture.
thanks

Alex

oh and also would people prefer big eared bettas or not ? could we start of witch type would people want the most :

big eared betta's (dumbo)
half moon's
half moon plakats
crowntails
crown tail plakats

once we've determined this we can look in to color and the genes stuff please, thanks guys

Alex

i personally like half moons, not keen on big eared.

This is one of my Bettas and I LOVE this color..

060ECA9B-C9F2-4E04-963C-57AFB619C0B7-2064-000002CFFA160D65.jpg

Half moons tend to sell for the most on the sites I've seen, because they are popular and because they are hard to breed successfully. You won't get all halfmoon baby bettas from a mating, see, lots of them will be superdelta and delta. You'll also need an outlet for the ones that aren't good enough to keep for breeding and not popular or good enough to sell, there'll always be some that won't be worth that £10- maybe line up a pet shop to sell/give them to?

Butterfly bettas I've seen sell really well, along with white ones - both opaque and the pastel ones if they are pure. Stay away from red and blue, as these are such common colours and easily available in fish shops. Dragons are quite rare.

Personally, I'd say you need at least two female tanks, as you'll want to keep juvenile females apart from your adult breeding females, so you can age them correctly and know which generation they have come from. I assume you are wanting to start a breeding line, not just looking to make a few pounds, so you'll want to keep track of which bettas were from which pairings. So for organizational purposes I'd suggest 1 female tank per spawn, or per generation at least.

You'll also need to make sure that the room is heated correctly to keep the tanks at a steady temperature, as there won't be room for heaters in the 1 gallon tubs.

Have you read this: http://bettysplenden...w.imp?catid=855

thanks i will keep them apart i was just planning to cross that bridge when i came to it,so witch betta is best ? i am sorry but i'm quite unfamiliar with bettas so it is quite unclear to me.Are the dragons half moons because when i click on h.m's it comes up with hm dragons.could anybody with better knowledge than me pleae clear it up ? thanks and sorry for being a pain but i'd feel safer going into this knowing everything i can,

Alex

thanks i will keep them apart i was just planning to cross that bridge when i came to it,so witch betta is best ? i am sorry but i'm quite unfamiliar with bettas so it is quite unclear to me.Are the dragons half moons because when i click on h.m's it comes up with hm dragons.could anybody with better knowledge than me pleae clear it up ? thanks and sorry for being a pain but i'd feel safer going into this knowing everything i can,

Alex

You'll come to that bridge as soon as you can identify the sexes of the baby bettas, so make sure you are ready.

Have a look at the site I linked you to. You have a lot of research to do so better start sooner rather than later :)

Dragon refers the metalic look of the scales. Half-moon (HM) refers to the tail - a half moon tail is a full 180 degrees. OHM is over half moon - larger than that. You'll need to research the tails, colours and genes of bettas carefully before starting.

Don't just buy a betta on looks, either. As with breeding any animal properly, you need to know it's parentage, and if possible further back from that, so you know the genes that it has, so you can predict what its offspring will be like.

Most reactions

trending

Back