top plants get too much light...but I'm in a pickle

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

thrujenseyes

Fish Herder
Reaction score
My tank is a little Fluval Edge 6 gallon that's been cycled and up and running for over two years now.
My parameters are:
PH: 6.8-7.2
GH: 75-150
KH: 40-80
Nitrates: 0
Nitrites: 0
Chlorine: 0
Ammonia: 0
50% water changes weekly.

2 remaining endlers (will be switching to soft water fish as I've figured out my issues after having to mix, my tap with RO and Well water.....that's a whole other ball of wax)
1 nerite snail
1 Amano shrimp
1 Sunkist shrimp

I only dose Flourish Comprehensive. Only additive I use.

My issue:
The top leaves of my Anubias have gotten really crapped up with Algae. I'm sure it's because they're way too close to the light but I have no choice, this is what the plant is and I LOVE IT so much and don't want to move it. The roots on the bottom are insane and so much fun for the inhabitants to play in.
I didn't have an issue when I had a few ottos as they kept them clean but I've since learned the struggles of keeping ottos alive and will never purchase them again as they're just too delicate and frail and a heartbreak to try and keep. (mine survived 8 months then passed).

Is this just what I need to deal with if I keep this plant? I'd trim the top few leaves but I'm assuming the next leaves in line will suffer the same fate.
It looks ugly but is it bad for the plant? If not maybe I just won't worry about it.

Also can reducing the time I have the lights on help? They're on from 8am ish to usually 9-10pm.

Some pics: IMG_7308.JPGIMG_7309.JPGIMG_7312.JPGIMG_7313.JPGIMG_7314.JPGIMG_7315.JPG

Oh and ignore my banner...it hasn't looked like that in over a year!

I am not an absolute expert, but some remarks. :)

What are your stocking plans and how soon will you change that?

Most shrimps prefer to live in groups. Imho a group of Neocaradina would be better than a single amano shrimp. More snails could help you with your algae too. My favourites are ramshorns, but nerites and Clinthon diadema are supposed to be excellent algae eaters too. Maybe you need some more.

Of course you can reduce the the time of light too. You can go down to 8h without any problems.

Anubias is a shade plant. I have had algae encrust the leaves when it is under direct light. If you can grow it under floating plants, this won't occur. The other factor though is liquid fertilizers, if any; too much of them and algae can be problematic. Anubias is again targeted because it is slow growing, so the light beyond what it needs plus the excess fertilizer equals algae; either or both factors may be involved.

This is probably a type of brush algae, and otos will not eat it. The fact that you thought they were previously may be due to the algae taking longer to develop. I have never had any "algae" fish that will eat this brush algae, except a couple that would certainly not work here due to their large size.

The duration is excessive for this too, though without knowing the light specs I can't say one way or the other if reducing the duration alone may help. I would suspect not entirely, because again the fact that this plant is directly under the tank light is the real issue. But if you reduced the ltank light to somewhere between 6 and 8 hours, it might help--but again, depending upon the intensity to begin with; intensity cannot be offset by duration, either way, in most cases unless the intensity is very minimally off.

Byron.

What are your stocking plans and how soon will you change that?
I have no plans to change until my two remaining endlers pass. Then I will purchase some soft water fish like boraras brigite (or something similar) and just a few as I don't have a lot of room.
And possibly a couple more shrimp.

Most shrimps prefer to live in groups. Imho a group of Neocaradina would be better than a single amano shrimp. More snails could help you with your algae too
the reason I only have one of each of those critters is because I don't want anything reproducing as I have very limited space and want to have a handle on bioload and such.

I have had algae encrust the leaves when it is under direct light.
Good to know it happens and I haven't done anything grievously wrong. ha

f you can grow it under floating plants, this won't occur.
Can I have floating plants in this setup? There is no water line in my tank. They would be completely immersed (and I wouldn't want to lower the water level as it would defeat the cool look of the edge). If you think it would work, I'd love to try it out!! What type would you suggest?

This is probably a type of brush algae, and otos will not eat it. The fact that you thought they were previously may be due to the algae taking longer to develop
The ottos hung out on the few top leaves that got this type of algae and would surf the ripples from the flow above. the leaves were always clean so I figured they kept them that way...but you could be right...maybe it just took a long time to grow. The plant itself is healthy and gorgeous and the root system is insanely beautiful!

The duration is excessive for this too, though without knowing the light specs I can't say one way or the other if reducing the duration alone may help
I keep it on because I love watching them...but I suppose I should do them a favor and not myself! ha

this plant is directly under the tank light is the real issue
yes, that's what I figured. So if you think the floating plants may work...I'll give that a go!

I can see how floating plants would be difficult, probably not possible as they tend to need air for the leaves. Which makes me wonder, if there is no air space above the water surface, your gaseous exchange which is critical may be problematic?

I can see how floating plants would be difficult, probably not possible as they tend to need air for the leaves. Which makes me wonder, if there is no air space above the water surface, your gaseous exchange which is critical may be problematic?

Well there is a small opening under the "box" on top of the tank that camouflages the hob filter.
It's a small square (which I have to access the tank thru which is NOT easy). So maybe a few little floating plants might stay there? Although doubtful as the current would move them under the glass.
Tricky little tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Back