To Back Or Not To Back

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

cornishlass

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Do use a scenery backing or nothing, ours currently has a plain blue one but switching to planted so not sure whether it will stay

I dont use any backing on my tank, just dont really like them.
I read that backing gives more depth to the tank and hides wallpaper ect, but i dont think it serves any purpose for the fish. As we have plain walls the tank looks ok without one, but that just personal choice.

Mine is plain black in a planted tank, makes the fish and plants stand out.

James.

I dont use any backing on my tank, just dont really like them.
I read that backing gives more depth to the tank and hides wallpaper ect, but i dont think it serves any purpose for the fish. As we have plain walls the tank looks ok without one, but that just personal choice.

Backing makes the fish feel more secure.

I would always go with backing.

In my case the background hides tubes, air hoses, power cords, etc. that detract from seeing the tank.

I have a random backing, it has a few plants on it and that's about it. I would love a 3D background however, I think they're great! :hyper:

+1
Most of the fish we keep would, in the wild, hug the edges of the streams and rivers where they live. I find nearly all fish are more confident and show better colour in a tank with backing than one without.
Personally, I use black bin bags 'cos they're cheap and waterproof, but anything that takes your fancy will do the job as far as the fish are concerned.

+1
Most of the fish we keep would, in the wild, hug the edges of the streams and rivers where they live. I find nearly all fish are more confident and show better colour in a tank with backing than one without.
Personally, I use black bin bags 'cos they're cheap and waterproof, but anything that takes your fancy will do the job as far as the fish are concerned.
Do you do something to get those to be flat against the glass FM?

I also would like to know the answer to that question.

I had a bin bag background on my old 90L and it dipped in quite a few places... :unsure:

I find poster board works well as a backdrop, and it is inexpensive and easy to attach with 4 pieces of tape.

I find poster board works well as a backdrop, and it is inexpensive and easy to attach with 4 pieces of tape.
Yes, I currently use a form of that, the problem I find is that it eventually warps and needs replacing although in my own case it may be happening faster because of a heater vent.

I know people often use mineral oil or vegatable oil or something to seal the little air bubbles out of those commercial backgrounds but I wasn't sure if people had tried that with black plastic bag material.

WD

+1
Do you do something to get those to be flat against the glass FM?

Um, no, I don't; it doesn't bother me if it's a bit wrinkly!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back